Author Topic: At what point does it become an Ameraucana?  (Read 2225 times)

At what point does it become an Ameraucana?
« on: October 01, 2007, 09:48:08 PM »
I was reading the topic on blue lacing and all the chat about bringing in other breeds to introduce a new color or better lacing...so in essense...aren\'t these crosses Easter Egg Layers and at what point do they become an Ameraucana???

Mike Gilbert

At what point does it become an Ameraucana?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 07:39:37 AM »
When they breed true for all essential Ameraucana characteristics and lay eggs some shade of blue or bluish green.    According to the definition we adopted a couple of years ago at our national meet in Sedalia, MO,  an Ameraucana breeds with predictable, desirable results.   An easter egger will be split for many or several genes (remember,genes are usually inherited in pairs - one from each parent) so will yield a variety of color/type in their progeny.    When I introduced Pg (pattern gene) to my blue Ameraucana bantams to get Andalusian type lacing,  I knew exactly what I was doing and how to get back to where I needed to be.   I am sending a couple of pullets from this line with good lacing to Great Falls for Michael Muenks to use.
While their color is quite good, their type needs work and they are hetero for muffs.   While most people would look at them and consider them to be Ameraucanas, I know they are not the correct type, and they have not laid yet so I\'m not sure about egg color either.   The end result of this project is that we will at last have blue Ameraucana bantams that are colored as the standard calls for them to be.   Any project of this nature is going to be multi-multi generational.   It\'s the way the Ameraucana breed was and is being built.  All American breeds have gone through the same process.
The Chantecler breed, the only one developed in Canada, was bred up using five or six different existing breeds, and it took many years to get them to where they are now.