Author Topic: Weird Eyes  (Read 8028 times)

Mike Gilbert

Weird Eyes
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 07:29:32 AM »
I believe this problem is fairly common among Australorps as well.    Many generations ago Australorps were used to create a better type (and color) of Ameraucana.    I have no proof, but I believe this condition is generated by the gene that causes dark brown eyes (in lieu of bay).   Said gene is a sex-linked recessive.   That means pullets get the gene only from their father and they either have one copy or none.   Cockerels on the other hand can carry two genes for it, one, or none.
So if you want to clear up the problem it is imperative you secure a cockerel with the correct eye coloring.   Such a cockerel could possibly still be a carrier (remember, this gene is recessive, not dominant), but even if he is, half of his pullet offspring would have the proper eyes and be \"pure\" for them.   Sorry for your disappointment, but there are many, many other things to breed for when someone starts from
\"scratch\" (no pun intended) to build a new breed.    For just one example among many, in many large fowl varieties especially we need to work on improving egg color.

Weird Eyes
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 12:35:45 PM »
Thank you Mike for the insight. I have heard that Australorps were in the background of the Ameraucana. It is good to have someone of an idea of what might cause it, and the genetics involved and how it is passed on. The fact that both my current males have this makes me sure that I need to get a new male. I will be getting a few females too I hope all with clear eyes. Seeing I show, this has been a very important issue to me to cull against any faults I can and the eyes have been one I havent been able to eradicate.