Author Topic: Wanted: Blue LF  (Read 3243 times)

Wanted: Blue LF
« on: October 21, 2007, 09:51:45 AM »
Hi,

So I had this plan to breed LF blue ameraucanas. It was a great plan. Then the fox came. I now have two pretty nice blue cockerels. NO pullets and a LOT of bloody blue feathers. ARGH!!

So... if anyone has any blue pullets available, I am interested. Since thats probably a long shot, does anyone have any hatching eggs?

Thanks!
Hannah

edited to add: We are off to Lowes to buy a lot of wood and hardware cloth. *sigh*

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 10:01:52 PM »
My girls have slowed down lately, but if you contact me in a couple of weeks I\'m sure I could get you some hatching eggs.

Just click on my name in the upper left hand corner.

Jean

PS This would be a mix of black and blue chicks.
Jean

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 09:08:25 PM »
Thanks! I will email you in a couple weeks!

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 11:58:36 AM »
We have at least 6 blue breeding show quality pullets, more than we need and 2 blue pullets for layers only-not recommended for breeding to produce show stock.  I recommend you to put some vanishing powder on the fox before purchasing anymore chickens, or build a fox proof pen.  I\'ve learned once a predator starts getting the birds they will continue to come get an easy delicious meal until chickens are all gone.  We now have the bio-secure shipping boxes to be able to ship them.
Paul Smith
sw_psmith@swmail.net
Paul Smith

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 01:13:39 PM »
No kidding! We are working on both. Traps have completely failed, so we are working on a more... active approach to eliminate him. We are also completely rebuilding our pen with concrete and wire.

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 09:20:41 AM »
If you have a fence that the fox is going through you may try setting some snares.  I have used them in the past for coyotes and bobcats.  If you don\'t have any or access to any, I\'d be willing to get some from our local hardware store and send them to you.
Paul Smith