The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > Ameraucana Marketplace

Just saying hello

<< < (2/3) > >>

Guest:
OK now we are really confused. The roster that I talked about above won a 2nd place at our fair :D we are really hooked by the way. Of course there was no one there that could tell us why we won. His tag said cockerel and other. No comments by the judge? He looks like the bird on the cover of the Murry McMurray catalog 2005. Now after just doing a little reading on this forum I was thinking he was a mutt out of all the birds we hatched this spring. What gives? The other birds we have look much more like the standard as described here? Also I noticed in the MM catalog that they spelled ameraucana americana and also they had the birds under araucana / Americana. Can anyone explain any of this to me? Sorry for so many questions at once......

We are joining up with you guys tomorrow.

Mike Gilbert:
It\'s pretty simple Doug.   Many county fair judges don\'t know what to look for in the breed.    In our state they judge by the Danish system, so they are bound to give out so many blues, so many reds, so many pinks and whites.    

McMurray is another story.   They have been informed and just don\'t care because they are making a lot of money selling birds that are neither araucana nor ameraucana.   They don\'t even bother to spell the name correctly.    The last I checked, however, do they stipulate the colored egg birds they sell are not for show.  

Guest:
Thanks for the info Mike. What do you think about that roster? I had an offer at the fair for $20 does that sound good? I don\'t want to do any breeding until I have lots of time to look at birds and pester the day lights out of you guys before we start a breeding program. Never mind on the roster I think I just answered my own question. Check is in the mail for Dawn and I to become members of the ABC.

Mike Gilbert:
Yup, take the $20 and run.   That\'s a real good price for a
multicolored nonstandard bird.   Welcome to the ABC, we are here to encourage and help.    When you get your new handbook (free with membership) please let us know your thoughts.   We tried to be more \"user friendly\" to those just starting out in this edition.   Thanks for joining.

Mike G.

Guest:
Will do.Thanks again Mike.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version