Author Topic: Breeding pen size & construction  (Read 23878 times)

John

Breeding pen size & construction
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 07:27:34 PM »
Here are a few more photos.

John

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 07:37:15 PM »
I used 1 by 2 welded wire for the fronts with 2 by 4 wire for the doors.
The feeders, latches, Plastic Edge Protector, etc. are from Cutler\'s Supply.   http://cutlersupply.com/
The feeders are 7\" long and there is a discount by buying 6 at a time.  I also add some wire inside the feeders to try to keep the birds knocking it out.

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 07:41:58 PM »
Thank You SOOOO much for all your help.  Could you snap a couple photos of the inside and I think that should about do it.

John

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 07:59:03 PM »
You can see I notched the 4 legs to recess the 8\' 2 by 4s into (front and back, 3 places each).  
The 1 by 6s were used across the front of both rows of coops to keep the wood shavings from being scratched out.
Each section is about 24\" high.
The unit is 6\' 7/16\" high including the OSB on top and 8\' 7/8\" long including the 7/16\" OSB on each end.

Beth C

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 10:05:56 PM »
What did you use to attach the wire to the wood? Some look like they have fence staples, but others look like they had some kind of tab that hooks around the wire then gets screwed into the wood.

John

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »
some kind of tab that hooks around the wire

The plastic \"hooks\" with nails are phone cable clips/fasteners (see photo) and I used them as hinges on the wire doors so they open and close.

The staples are really for electrical wire.  I prefer them over fence post staples for fastening wire to coops and pens.

I also used some short drywall screws w/fender washers to fasten the welded wire to the 1 by 6 pine boards because the staples were too long.  The screws w/washers could have even been used instead of staples on the 2 by 4s.  

John

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 03:59:36 PM »
Could you snap a couple photos of the inside

I used a couple zip ties to fasten some 1 by 2 welded wire in the feeders, with the center opened to 2 by 2.  This helps keep the feed in the feeders.
The second shot is looking up at the ceiling so you can see the LED rope lights.