Author Topic: Lavender Wheaten  (Read 9822 times)

verycherry

Lavender Wheaten
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 01:18:53 PM »
It does seem like the rooster would have to have a Silver gene to create a pullet like that, and the first male.  

John, does a rooster having the silver gene in addition to a gold affect the Wheaten pattern in any way?  Wouldn\'t his hackles be noticably lighter?  

I have some beautiful Wheaten pullets (bantam Cochin X Marans) that got the silver gene from their Cochin Dad and they have light hackles with a little black ticking, not the color of a regular Wheaten.  They look like Silver Wheatens.  The one male offspring looks like a Golden duckwing.  

This would make me think that the Wheaten coloration might be comprimised if she used this female.  

John

Lavender Wheaten
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 01:29:31 PM »
Wouldn\'t his hackles be noticably lighter?

Yes, since silver is dominant.  I didn\'t think any wheaten lines carried silver...so what are the other options?

Lavender Wheaten
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 01:44:18 PM »
very interesting.  Here is the wheaten roo I used.  I bought him from Jean.

Here is one of the pullets I used from Harry, the other looks the same.

together

I\'ll check the white chicks feet and beak when I get home.  I love genetics...I am very fascinated by all this.  I can\'t wait until the next batch hatches.

verycherry

Lavender Wheaten
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 02:49:28 PM »
He looks like a normal Wheaten roo to me.

Could another rooster have been involved?  Don\'t you have a black split male?

What did the 3 offspring look like as chicks, the down color?

Mike Gilbert

Lavender Wheaten
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 03:23:33 PM »
There is no way the Wheaten rooster carried sex-linked silver.
Those birchen looking pullets must have been out of a different male.   According to some reports, sperm can live as much as three weeks inside the female prior to fertilizing an egg.  The first bird, a cockerel, looks split for silver and gold;  the silver gene would have come from the lavender mother, so he could very well be out of the wheaten male.

verycherry

Lavender Wheaten
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 03:48:09 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
There is no way the Wheaten rooster carried sex-linked silver.
Those birchen looking pullets must have been out of a different male.   According to some reports, sperm can live as much as three weeks inside the female prior to fertilizing an egg.  The first bird, a cockerel, looks split for silver and gold;  the silver gene would have come from the lavender mother, so he could very well be out of the wheaten male.

That\'s true, wasn\'t thinking about 2 roosters!  The male could have been out of the Wheaten, but definately not that first female.  The second roo (or a third) could be the answer to the odd columbian type female too.

If the other male chick with more of a red coloration has no silver gene though (and is out of the Wheaten roo), wouldn\'t he be a better male to use?

Wait, would he have not gotten one silver gene from the mother too?

John, aren\'t my Lav cockerels both E/E?

One cockerel is completely Lavender, clean as a whistle, and the other one does have some very, VERY faint blonde in his hackles.  Hard to even see unless you\'re looking for it.

John

Lavender Wheaten
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 07:28:34 PM »
Now you understand why I asked \"what are the other options\".  
It didn\'t make since that the wheaten was the sire and I didn\'t want to say you were wrong in saying he was.  
My LF Lavenders should be E/E, but since they were bred up from my blacks that sometimes have ER...they could also.

verycherry

Lavender Wheaten
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 03:09:18 AM »
Quote from: chicken stalker
hmmm...I have 3 roosters, a lavender, wheaten and an EE.  You guys are really bumming me out.  I think I waited 2 weeks for them to \"cleanse\".  So maybe my EE is the father.  I guess thats what I get for my impatience.  At least the batch in the incubator I know for sure they are a clean cross.  Do you think any of them are a possible lav x wheaten cross?  Any one need some EE\'s  :p

Here\'s my EE roo....so you think he\'s the father of them all?

Didn\'t mean to bum you out.  Look on the bright side, if you have more eggs in the bator, then you\'re already back on the horse!  Let us know how the hatch goes, I\'m very interested.  

jerryse

Lavender Wheaten
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 10:29:07 AM »
I have the same colors turn up out of brown red x black out of the lavender project.I was forced to make this cross due to not having any brown red hens 3 years ago.I have a light phase brown red hen & a birchen looking hen pop up from last years chicks.The last photo looks like the hens I used to get if I used a white roo over silver hen.The hens did not inherit the salmon breast .Silver over white produced good colors in both sexes.It also looks like the silver hens out of the Murry Mcmurry type easter eggers that carry the columbian gene.So it is hard to say which genes produced it.I would not use it for a breeder.   Jerry

jerryse

Lavender Wheaten
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 10:36:26 AM »
I better add I was reading the first page when I responded & then saw there was a page 2. Still not very good with this computer stuff.