Author Topic: Red Pyle  (Read 11994 times)

Johnny Parks

Red Pyle
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 11:47:46 AM »
If you think your birds are dominant white with gold try crossing them to the Silver Ameraucana variety.  I would like to see pictures of your project birds.

verycherry

Red Pyle
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 12:13:41 PM »
I\'ll take some pictures soon, possibly today but definately by this weekend.  I\'ve been getting home too late the last few days and haven\'t had good light.

Ok, so getting a silver roo should be my next step.  But, where to put another rooster???  

I guess I could just get Ameraucanas the easy way by ordering eggs or chicks from someone, and I may wind up doing that too, but I just love the red pyle coloration and making your own seems to be the only way to get them right now.  

Your roo is gorgeous by the way!

Mike Gilbert

Red Pyle
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 01:03:23 PM »
I would go the other way if possible, i.e.,  a male carrying dominant white and sex linked gold over silver ameraucana females.    The silver is sex linked, so with a silver male all females would be pure silver (you want gold), and the males would be split - but the silver is dominant so males would not look much like pyles.

John

Red Pyle
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 01:14:24 PM »
go the other way if possible, i.e., a male carrying dominant white and sex linked gold over silver ameraucana females

Right on.

verycherry

Red Pyle
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 01:41:50 PM »
This is the buff/white roo (with the willow legs) from a few months ago.  He\'s about 5 months old now.  

He now looks like a red pyle/buff cross.  His upper wing area has turned dark red, and his tail feathers are mostly white with some having buff edges.

Click to enlarge.

The only option for my 3 females then would still be to breed them to a silver male though right, even if I get all splits?...and then cross a male back to the females?

In the meantime I guess I could cross this buff/white male with the 3 girls and see what I get.  Maybe just more pretty EE\'s!

Mike Gilbert

Red Pyle
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 05:56:55 PM »
After looking at the enlarged pic of the rooster - am I seeing a few dark flecks in the tail & wings?    If so, he could just as well be a black tailed red/buff carrying two copies of Bl rather than dominant white.   I guess the easiest way to find out is to breed him.

verycherry

Red Pyle
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 10:27:09 AM »
After looking at the enlarged pic of the rooster - am I seeing a few dark flecks in the tail & wings? If so, he could just as well be a black tailed red/buff carrying two copies of Bl rather than dominant white.

I doubt it.  There are only a few odd black feathers, just like the females have in their white areas, and this is pretty common with dominant white.  LIke I mentioned earlier, I have other white birds with two or three black feathers....sometimes not even the whole feather will be black.  He has one like that in his tail.  At least one female has one on her back where there is only white.  I\'ll just breed him like you said, and we\'ll see what comes of it.  

I\'d be interested in getting some silver chicks this year, whether I get red pyle with these project birds or not.  I like the silver color, especially on the roosters.

verycherry

Red Pyle
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 01:22:01 PM »
Here is the cockerel now.

He\'s around 4 or 5 months old.

You can click to enlarge.

verycherry

Red Pyle
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 01:24:31 PM »
Here are the 3 females.

Click to enlarge them.

The one at the top in the first photo is the one that has the slightly gray/blue tinge to her feathers.

Hope you like them!  I think they\'re just gorgeous, but I\'m sure everyone thinks that about their birds.

Red Pyle
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 08:57:14 PM »
Very, very beautiful birds!

verycherry

Red Pyle
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 02:05:41 PM »
Thank you!  I really like their look.

I\'m wondering now though if the females aren\'t actually a buff/DW cross after all, since they have the pretty lacing.  Wouldn\'t they be more likely BBR and dominant white?  ...but wouldn\'t that BE red pyle?

Maybe the female with the slight blue tinge to her feathers could be BLUE breasted black/DW.

The male can\'t be BBR and DW though, since his chest isn\'t white.  If I\'m thinking correctly the DW would change a black chest to white, not this gold or buff color, so he probably IS buff/DW.  Ugh, my brain hurts!  

I do have a female EE that I think is BBR.  I\'ll see if I have a pic of her.  She does have dark greenish slate legs though, not a good slate color at all.

verycherry

Red Pyle
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 02:22:55 PM »
Ok, fuzzy pic but here is the EE hen that I think is a BBR.  I just remembered that she lays a pinkish cream egg though. :(

\"Image

verycherry

Red Pyle
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2009, 11:45:58 AM »
After looking at the enlarged pic of the rooster - am I seeing a few dark flecks in the tail & wings? If so, he could just as well be a black tailed red/buff carrying two copies of Bl rather than dominant white.

Oh!  I just got what you were saying there, sorry.  That never even occurred to me, but I think you might be right.

Well, if that\'s so, then I don\'t guess I should breed him to the 3 pullets.  I do have the solid white boy.  I guess I\'ll see what happens there.  Maybe only solid whites?  Maybe mutts!  

Isn\'t this girl in the photo below black tailed buff then?  If so I\'d like to pair them up.

This is an older pic.  She\'s mature now and is laying nice blue-green eggs, not to mention she has really great leg color.

Is anyone already working on Black Tailed Buff?

Mike Gilbert

Red Pyle
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2009, 01:57:59 PM »
On my screen she is showing up as more of a New Hamp Red color than black tailed buff.   This is similar to the black tailed light red color in Nankin bantams.    I had black tailed buff in bantams years ago, but we were working on solid buff at the time, and nobody else seemed too interested in them, so I gave them up.  Take a look at the buff color in the photos section and see if you notice the difference in shade.

verycherry

Red Pyle
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 02:50:25 PM »
That pic was made in the shade, so it might appear a little dark.  She is a little darker than that particular LF buff hen, but no where near a New Hampshire red.  She is pretty close to the Nankins I googled though, and also the pics of the BT Buff Japanese.  I just saw a photo of a BT Buff Japanese chick and she looked almost identical when she was a chick.

When I put the two side by side, this girl and the cockerel above, they are very similar in color.

I know a lot of people like Buffs,  I personally like BT Buff better, but I could see where it might not be as popular.

I got my birds mainly to have fresh eggs, and for entertainment for the kids and myself more than anything else.  I just think a few of them have some potential if paired up right, and I\'d like to see what they\'d produce.  I really don\'t want to disguard them (we like them), and I definately don\'t have the room or the funds right now to go out and buy all new chickens.  I guess we\'ll see.