Author Topic: Missing Varieties  (Read 14589 times)

John

Missing Varieties
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2007, 08:59:30 AM »
There are a few black tailed red around in the bantam size

Jim Tuckwood has some nice looking reds.  I believe Johnny Parks is also working on reds, but solid red birds without any black in thier tails.  So, there are really two red varieties in development from what I understand.

New varieties being worked on in bantam and/or LF:
---updated list, 12/29/07 12:05 ET---
lavender
black gold
blue gold
black silver
birchen
splash
splash wheaten
red
red pyle
???

Johnny Parks

Missing Varieties
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2007, 11:43:54 AM »
John, In my breeding projects I am working with bantam Red Pyle, Birchen, and Blacksilver-(like Blackgold... but with lacing in silver and black).   I am not working with developing a solid red variety. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 01:27:35 AM by Johnny Parks »

Mike Gilbert

Missing Varieties
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2007, 11:59:29 AM »
The nonstandard bantam varieties I am working with are black gold and birchen.   Lyne in California is working on black gold and blue gold.    Not sure what silver gold is??
Both black gold and birchen are natural adjuncts to brown red, as all three are based on the birchen gene at the e-locus.
Birchen (the color) is just a silver version of brown red.  Black gold is basically an extremely over colored brown red, complete with shafting and body lacing, and red diluters.
I have found brown red to be quite variable in color, so it stands to reason that black gold and birchen could be expected to be variable in their expression as well.

Johnny Parks

Missing Varieties
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2007, 12:08:20 PM »
Mike said
I have found brown red to be quite variable in color, so it stands to reason that black gold and birchen could be expected to be variable in their expression as well.

I to have found some Birchen variations too...some more lacing, some not so much.  What then will define the fine lines between an overly laced brown red or overly laced birchen, in comparison to a laced blackgold or laced blacksilver.  I am not too keen on genetics but are we playing around with different color variations in the same bird.
Johnny

John

Missing Varieties
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2007, 12:08:43 PM »
Not sure what silver gold is??

I meant black silver, but my fingers didn\'t type what my brain had in mind. ;)

Mike Gilbert

Missing Varieties
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2007, 12:15:12 PM »
Johnny,
In brown red and birchen the lacing should be restricted to the upper half of the breast.  Shafting in these two varieties is considered a fault.    With the black golds and black silvers, the lacing should extend over the entire breast, the body, all the way back to the tail.  Even the tail and wings should show some lacing preferably.   Shafting is required also.     So we are working with two extremes in color.   Same e-locus on all, but unknown modifiers will determine the variety.  Does that help?

Johnny Parks

Missing Varieties
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2007, 12:19:58 PM »
Yes, that does help.  I have to keep in mind the two extremes that we are working to achieve.  Thanks, Johnny

Missing Varieties
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2007, 12:24:25 PM »
Is it the Db gene added to brown reds that give it the desired look?  

Johnny, are your Red Pyle Wheaten based or BBred?  Also does dominate white affect leg color?  Nice looking birds.