Author Topic: chicken pickin\'  (Read 4392 times)

chicken pickin\'
« on: January 23, 2008, 08:33:55 PM »
I have had several breeds of chickens over the years, but I think I like my ameraucanas best. However, they do like to pick a lot. It seems they will go after one particular hen, pecking at the top of her head. If I remove her, it won\'t take them long to go after another one. Removed all roosters but one, but it\'s the hens doing the pecking (henpecked?). Their pen is big, but I don\'t let them free range in winter. too cold here in Ohio. Maybe they have cabin fever? no,wait, that\'s me with the cabin fever. :o Anyway, any ideas on how to get them to stop?  Thanks for any help.  Paul

chicken pickin\'
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 12:17:58 AM »
My book says for picking you can give them something to do that will alleviate boredom; give them more room (sounds like yours have this though); and/or give them a diet higher in protein--like toss them a bit of cat food.  It also says if it\'s one particular hen who\'s the vampire, cull her and it might fix the whole flock.

Good luck, I hope they become less bloodthirsty!

bantamhill

chicken pickin\'
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 06:39:39 AM »
Try a head of cabbage - or several to give them something to do or add a flake of straw for them to scatch apart with some scratch grains and the extra protein may also help. I wouldn\'t be afraid to let them range free during the winter because of the cold . . . mine do with no problems. Finally, it is most likely a learned behavior if the toys do not work there are hens that will need to be culled or caged to stop the behavior. Once it is learned it will not stop on its own.

Michael

chicken pickin\'
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 07:40:01 AM »
Paul,

Let your birds free range and that will help the problem. My chickens are out when it is cold. They will stay in if they want to. I have read research that says white birds are prone to feathering pecking over nonwhite birds. If you have white birds they may be the birds that are pulling feathers.

I have a couple of birds that are missing feathers also.  I would like to find out who is pulling the feathers. I am going to separate my two hens that are being plucked. I am never witnessed the behavior in my birds I have at this time.

Tim

chicken pickin\'
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 10:56:17 AM »
Styrofoam works great.  I\'ve used this trick for several years now and don\'t have a problem.  It won\'t effect the chicks.  I think that the chicks get bored and need something to do. It works.

SHU

chicken pickin\'
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 12:33:20 PM »
I\'ve read where other breeders bump up their protein and the picking stops.

vanalpaca

chicken pickin\'
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 10:58:54 AM »
This sounds like a good place to post this question.

I have a roo flock of chickens from last years hatch and have yet to band them so I can sort and choose my breeder roos.

But they are into ganging up on one unlucky roo. The chasing and picking aren\'t as bad because the victim can get lost in the crowd, but when they gang up I usually have to remove the bird and reintroduction is nearly impossible.

I don\'t know why a particular bird lets it happen instead of fighting back, but do I have to cull the quiet victim or do I breed for docility, keep him, and cull the bully boys who are really good looking birds?

They are in a hoop coop locked down for safety, then released into a huge 130x150 fenced yard during the day. They will choose to chase and peck instead of spending all their time bug catching!

Thanks.