The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > Breeding

Egg Color

(1/5) > >>

Jean:
Hello!

I am looking at some of my new pullet\'s eggs and was wondering what the rest of you would do.  The eggs on the left are what I usually keep as breeders as long as the chicken looks correct according to standard.  The eggs on the right are very blue and very green, would you consider hatching from these?  There is also a brown and a couple green eggs on the top added for contrast.

The picture does not do any of these eggs justice.  The new eggs in person look like real colored easter eggs.

Jean

bantamhill:
Jean,

I personally would keep and breed from them agressively. I will be interested to see what others think.

Michael

Mike Gilbert:
We should all have such a nice \"problem\" to deal with.   While I do prefer the eggs on the left, I would sure use the two on the right if the hen that laid them is good in other respects.
On my computer screen even the two on the top don\'t look all that bad.   I look at a host of other things first before cutting for egg color as long as they are reasonably blue.    What I might do, however, is keep roosters for breeding only from the eggs on the left if possible.   Just my opinion.

Jean:
I\'m going for the \"total package\".  :p

Jean

Mike Gilbert:
Okay, my curiosity is up.   What variety of Ameraucanas laid each of the three different colors of eggs?   Let me guess:
blacks/blues laid the ones on top, wheatens/blue-wheatens the ones on the left and maybe buffs the ones on the right with the \"extreme\"coloring?   How close am I?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version