Author Topic: Breeding Stock  (Read 3137 times)

Breeding Stock
« on: January 19, 2008, 05:13:53 PM »
I have had a small catastrophe here on my farm.  I didn\'t quarantine some blue frizzles that I brought in long enough and I ended up with pox in my flock.  YUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Well now everyone who didn\'t get it is vaccinated and everyone who survived getting it is well on their way to being healed, but I lost 3 of my Blue Wheaten pullets/hens and 3 of my blue pullets/hens.  It seems once that stuff gets in their mouth it is almost impossible to save them.  I feel pretty lucky though because out of 250 birds I only lost about 18.  

I know this is the wrong time of year to be looking for Breeding stock, but am desperate to find some because of the chick and egg orders that I already have to be filled this spring.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.  

I will definitely vaccinate for pox from now on.

bantamhill

Breeding Stock
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 08:07:37 PM »
I feel your pain with fowl pox . . . unfortunately I do not have any birds to share to help you out.

Michael

Breeding Stock
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 01:19:32 PM »
I sure learned a valuable lesson about how long I should quarantine and I am now going to vaccinate all the stock I plan on keeping every year for pox and LT.

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
Breeding Stock
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 06:28:59 AM »
Are you going to share with us what you learned?  What are your recommendations now?
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
Breeding Stock
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 04:16:10 PM »
...just to clarify...
There are lots of recommendations for quarantines, including NO quarantine.  I think someone who has experienced the consequences of an insufficient quarantine will have excellent insight and their recommendation would have value.  I\'d sure like to hear it.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

Breeding Stock
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 10:42:16 AM »
as far as quarantine goes I have upped mine to 6 weeks because for example the pox can take up to 5 weeks to show itself.  I was only doing it for 21-28 days and have increased that to 6 weeks.