Author Topic: Buff improvements  (Read 2579 times)

Buff improvements
« on: February 09, 2008, 01:49:50 PM »
I know a buff rooster can be bred over wheaten hens to work on improving the buff lines (as outlined in the handbook).

Will a wheaten rooster over buff hens work out the same way?

John

Buff improvements
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 02:51:17 PM »
I don\'t think it matters, but just make sure the wheaten(s) used are prominent with the traits that you want to improve in your buffs.  They could introduce more negative genes than positive.  Some wheatens could bring some of thier faults into your buffs, like smaller size, white in ear lobes and whatever.

Buff improvements
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 05:56:25 PM »
I plan on using my best cockerel.  He is good sized, with a nice comb, muffs and beard.  
Leg, eye, and ear lobe color are good. His beard still has some white in it though.

The only concern I would have with him, would be any hidden coloring causing black spots etc.  
 I guess that\'s one advantage of using a buff rooster over wheaten hens.

I\'m mainly looking to improve the undercolor and the egg color.

Mike Gilbert

Buff improvements
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 09:27:50 PM »
As long as you understand this is not a one year project . . .
The first generation won\'t look like much, and you won\'t have to hatch many.   The next generation you will need to hatch a lot and cull heavily.  

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Buff improvements
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 01:06:18 AM »
I was wondering how I was going to improve egg color on my buff line, now I know!

I vaguely remember something like this, but too much clutter in the gray matter....

I think I will wait til next year to do it as I am concentrating on my whites and silvers this year.

Jean
Jean