Author Topic: Marek\'s vacine  (Read 2415 times)

Marek\'s vacine
« on: February 27, 2008, 06:49:28 PM »
If chickens that have been vaccinated are introduced into a flock that has not, will the other chickens be affected?

Can adult birds be vaccinated?

Do hens that have been vaccinated as a chick confer any immunity to their offspring?

Can hens that have been vaccinated hatch and raise chicks of their own, or does it endanger their new chicks?

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Marek\'s vacine
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:53:06 PM »
You can look up the vaccine info on the web, for more accurate information.  Try

But I believe (I could be wrong) that if you mix newly vaccinated chicks with unvaccinated chicks or older birds there is a chance of exposing older birds to mareks.

It is not recommended for adult birds to get vaccinated.  I do not believe they can pass immunity to offspring.  

Yes vaccinated birds can hatch and raise their own babies.

I also am under the impression that there are certain bloodlines that are immune to mareks disease, but I also know there are several different strains of it and the vaccine does not cover all strains.

Jean
Jean

Marek\'s vacine
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 10:44:15 AM »
I have been vacinating birds for nearly 5 years now.  I wouldn\'t vacinate adults for Mareks.  Usually Mareks shows up in young when associated with paralysis.  If an adult family has green eyes, it can be associated with Mareks, but it can be cured with continual vaccination of the chicks and the green eyes will change to red after a couple of years and healthy parents to the chicks.  I recommend that adults be vaccianted for coriza every fall during the molt.  Coriza is very common and brought in my migratory birds.  It usually shows itself through the birds having a swollen runny eyes or a runny nose.  It can easily be mistaken as a sickness.  A coriza vac. will prevent all of that from happening.

SHU