Author Topic: Breeding Question  (Read 3414 times)

Breeding Question
« on: April 20, 2008, 09:27:05 PM »
I have a question about breeding LF Black . I currently have 3 hens and 1 roo. I have 8 eggs in the bator. Now, when these eggs hatch can I breed the roo with the new hens of the new roos with the mothers? I would love to get a good solid line going. Also how do you know exactly what characteristics to look for in a young chick. I hear about people culling heavily in order to ensure a stock that is at least as good as the parent stock. Do you have to wait for the birds to mature? Thank you for any help or comments you may have.
Shawn

Breeding Question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 10:05:29 PM »
I don\'t raise blacks, but in general mother-son and father-daughter matings are approved. As to culling some things you can see in a chick, like head size, but other aspects like color, leg color, and comb really need the bird to mature more. The stuff I am saying is just relative to chickens in general, since I am new to Ameraucanas, but I think you\'ll find what I\'m saying is true. Be careful on culling for head size though because females have inherently smaller heads than males and you don\'t want to through away all your females.

-Jordan-

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Breeding Question
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 08:19:41 AM »
We have raised several thousand blacks the past 9 years.  They can be culled at one day of age for feather legs and no muffs.  The majority of the culling will have to wait for the birds to develop.
Paul Smith

John

Breeding Question
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 06:53:10 PM »
Also how do you know exactly what characteristics to look for in a young chick. I hear about people culling heavily in order to ensure a stock that is at least as good as the parent stock. Do you have to wait for the birds to mature?

Personally I would advise to cull early and often.  In recent years I\'ve culled (I put them in the \"reject\" brooder and sell them as mixed \"backyard\" chickens) chicks right from the hatchers more critically then in the past.  I cull for chick down color & pattern, combs, leg color and muffs/beards.  Even with that I cull again every time I move them from brooder to brooder and into coops/pens.  
Day-old chick down color & pattern can tell you a lot about how that bird\'s mature feather color and pattern will look.  Refer to the photos of day-old chicks on the Photos page of the ABC website.

Mike Gilbert

Breeding Question
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 09:37:17 PM »
I\'m going to take more of a middle ground and say it depends on the population you are working with and the room you have to raise that population.   An experienced breeder like John or Paul can spot problems fairly soon, because they have the experience.   But if you are working with small numbers, and are in doubt, I would give the chick the benefit of the doubt and raise it up until you are sure you either want it or don\'t deem it worthy to keep.   It is very possible to make mistakes by culling too early for relatively minor issues.  I would look first of all for any obvious deformities, like crooked beaks or toes.   Clean faces can be spotted rather easily.    I raise blues, but end up with a few blacks each year out of my blue bantams.   I like to see a lot of white/yellowish  on the front of the chick.   any with  no white will probably end up being not a very well colored black.   There may be some variation depending on the genetics of the breeders you are using, so be patient, observe closely, take notes, mark or band any chicks that stand out (either good or bad), and check those notes when the birds get older in order to learn more.  Good luck!

Breeding Question
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 08:27:28 AM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
 so be patient, observe closely, take notes, mark or band any chicks that stand out (either good or bad), and check those notes when the birds get older in order to learn more.  Good luck!

This is a great idea.  I\'m going to do this.  For someone just getting started, like myself, this sounds like a great way to go.  Thank you!