Author Topic: ey  (Read 2817 times)

ey
« on: April 24, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »
Here is an interesting discussion, wheaton discussion, which had brought to mind that I have read where it is believed that our wheaton is ey. Firstly, is that truely believed, and secondly has anyone done test breeding?
Can someone share our wheaton history: who did the beginning breeding, where did we get the wheaton, how was it selected for?  I\'ve had breeders tell me that the Ameraucana female wheaton is one of the loveliest variety in any breed.

John

ey
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 06:07:29 PM »
Check out this topic:
http://ameraucana.org/abcforum/index.php?a=topic&t=78
Mike bought chicks from Marti Hatchery, in Missouri, and breed them to wheaten OE to develop that variety.

I\'ve read that there may only be one \"wheaten\" E-locus gene and that modifiers make the difference between what we have called e^y and e^wh.  

Mike Gilbert

ey
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 06:52:17 PM »
What John quoted is true, but at least one of the bantam pullets I had from Marti Hatchery was solid wheaten (no black at all) and by introducing the O.E. blood I was able to get female wheatens that were better in color.   The tail and wing color in the females took many generations to get right, but the females I\'m breeding from now are the best I\'ve had.  One is the blue wheaten pictured in my avitar, but the others are just as good.   Some carry their tail too high, however, so I\'m using males with lower tails to attempt to correct that.

ey
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 02:44:05 PM »
Spot on ... thanks.