Author Topic: Networking  (Read 2377 times)

Mike Gilbert

Networking
« on: June 10, 2008, 10:49:22 AM »
I thought this might be a topic worthy of a new thread.   Oftentimes we are reluctant to part with top quality stock because we want to save the best for ourselves.    But if we want to develop sources of stock to re-aquire from our own lines we really need to place good birds in reliable hands in other locations.  Disease, predators, fire, flood - any number of disasters can wipe out valuable lines of stock when they are concentrated in one location.    The blue-wheaten hen (she was a pullet when the picture was taken) used for my avitar on the left of this message went to a new home this past weekend.   She was BV blue wheaten at our last national meet in Michigan and is still productive and her eggs are a great shade of blue.   She along with six other wheaten and blue wheaten bantams should give Jordan Simon of Wisconsin a great start in Ameraucana bantams.   Jordan is high school age, but has already proven to be a capable breeder and exhibitor with other breeds and varieties.    I was impressed with his knowledge and persistence and feel we will have another up and coming Ameraucana enthusiast for years to come.   Jerry and Michael and John and others can attest to the fact that I have often sold birds who finish at the top of their classes at the shows, including BB and RB winners at our national meets.    I have also received quality birds, so it can be a two way street.  The point being made is that we can oftentimes do the breed and at the same time ourselves a service by getting top quality birds into the hands of other capable breeders.    When we need help we will then know where to look for it.  

Networking
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 04:29:19 PM »
Bravo! Mr. Gilbert.

Greg

Networking
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 05:24:24 PM »
That is a wonderful attitude!  I find when starting with a new breed its very hard to get quality stock to start with.  I think it turns people off to trying to get started breeding birds.

Networking
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 09:54:09 AM »
I had a terrible predator attack last year in my mottled project; I had 2 full mottled and one heterzygous hen survive and I was able to locate a rooster I had placed in another home to begin again. So this year I have started 2 breeders with satalite groups for insurance that something will remain.