Author Topic: Shafting in silvers  (Read 13730 times)

John

Shafting in silvers
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 10:17:50 AM »
you must mate F1 birds

Or...mate the sire over the F1 pullets and then start mating the F2 birds together.  The F1 birds all look black, but you can start selecting for phenotype with the following cross.  Yes, this way dilutes the traits brought in by the cross to black but I feel the benefits of being able to select for the best phenotype are worth it.

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Shafting in silvers
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 04:11:22 PM »
Silvers seem to be so complicated to me because we are trying to do so many things at one time with the color.  Those that I have seen are generally darker than the standard.  I guess I mean by that the stripping in the head, upper hackle and back should be greatly reduced to solid white or silver.  The wings should have a solid white block while the breast in the males still needs to be solid black.  It seems like adding black to reduce shafting would work against this need to add light to the top of the bird.  I am sure that its not as simple as this.  

Curtis, you mentioned that you added black to reduce the red in the wings, and that the birchen hens from these crosses help with this.  I understand that the Birchen and Brown Red that you used in these crosses are related in the color patterns, but why does this not add to the red coloration.  Are you finding lines of blacks that have NO autosomnal red in their background?  Can you help me understand this better?  Also, can you tell the birchen from silver at hatch?   Are the birchen solid black similar to the brown red?    
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Shafting in silvers
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 02:38:47 AM »
Don, are you looking at the correct SOP description for silver ameraucanas which now refers to the silver dutch description?

Jean

Mike Gilbert

Shafting in silvers
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 09:33:16 AM »
Quote from: Don

I understand that the Birchen and Brown Red that you used in these crosses are related in the color patterns, but why does this not add to the red coloration.  Are you finding lines of blacks that have NO autosomnal red in their background?  Can you help me understand this better?  Also, can you tell the birchen from silver at hatch?   Are the birchen solid black similar to the brown red?    

Don, I have brown red bantams with no autosomal red.  I know this because I can use the females with birchen males, and the F-1\'s have no red.   The males are lemony, but no red in shoulders or backs.   So it is very possible there are lines out there with no Ar.

grisaboy

Shafting in silvers
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 09:57:53 AM »
I have not seen autosomal red from the blacks that I used.  I think some strains could have but not the ones that I used.  The silver males that i get from the black/birchen/silver matings are better type and better color.  This hasn\'t resolved the shafting issue in the females though. This year I crossed Silvers with some nice type whites.  The chicks are hatching all black and very vigorous.  I suspect that these will look something like birchens when they feather out.

Curtis

John

Shafting in silvers
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 09:42:17 PM »
It seems like adding black to reduce shafting would work against this need to add light to the top of the bird.

Don,
You are probably right.  I didn\'t cross blacks with silvers to reduce the shafting in the silvers though.  The cross was mostly to improve size and type.  Improved temperament, combs, etc. were wished for also.
The shafting in my LF silvers has improved since the cross and that may be why.  With every project like this unwanted characteristics come with the cross.  I try to make the cross that I think will have more pros than cons and there have been some improvement projects that were scraped after I saw the F1 generation.  

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Shafting in silvers
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 11:18:23 AM »
Jean,  Yes I am using the ABA silver description.  Should be the same as the APA silver dutch color.   I have not seen LF other than in pictures.  Actually have only seen a few bantams in this color.  Just appears that the black stripes go almost to the head from what I have seen.  

I guess I was thinking that the Ar was always in the background and this was why so many folks had trouble when they crossed different lines.  The cross disturbed the different melanizers.  Glad to know that there are lines that are clean of Ar to try to use.

So the birchen are solid black when hatched?  I would be interested in hearing how the cross with the whites carries thru.  

I have heard the old barn/paint adage many times.  From other posts, is it fair to say that color comes from the male, type and maybe size from the female?  I was hoping that the body was there on the bantams, now we can focus more on the color.      
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

grisaboy

Shafting in silvers
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 03:19:49 PM »

So the birchen are solid black when hatched?  I would be interested in hearing how the cross with the whites carries thru.      

Birchen checks are solid black as are brown red. Although brown red checks will sometimes have brown heads.
This is the best way to tell ErEr (birchen) from EE (black).
EE checks are black with white (or cream) bellies.

The White / Silver cross (Silver male over white hens) hatched out solid black. They are starting to get brown on their wings.  Hard to know what genes are under a white bird.

I have heard the old barn/paint adage many times.  From other posts, is it fair to say that color comes from the male, type and maybe size from the female?    

This is only partially true. Size and type are determined by both both males and females.
Sex linked colors (Silver and Gold) are somewhat determined by the males.  For example a Silver Birchen male over brown red females will give all Silver Birchen females. A Brown Red male over Birchen females will give all Brown Red Females. Both of these crosses will give yellowish birchen split males.
Other colors, like blue, will give you the same results regardless if the male or the female is blue.

Curtis

grisaboy

Re: Shafting in silvers
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 05:07:58 PM »
Results of crossing silver male over white females;
I'm attaching three photos from this mating.
Birds ar a little rough because they have been pulling each others tails out in the grow out pen.
First photo is of the birchen cockerels, second is of birchen pullets.
These birds are about 10 weeks old.
Third is a shot showing 'stippling' in the wings on a younger bird.  I think this is because these birds are ER e+.  The ER is dominant but the stippling from the e+ is being expressed in the first plumage sets.  You can no longer see it in the older males but can see it a little in females.  I expect this will be all gone by the time the adult plumage grows in.

Curtis

grisaboy

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 05:36:42 PM »
Results Silver X Birchen (from Silver X Black);
The birchen hens used in this mating are actually a couple of generations removed from the black cross. Each generation produces some birchens and some silvers.  The silver males from this mating are showing a little bit of red in the shoulders so they won't be kept. None of the birchen males will be kept. The birchen females will be compared to the other birchens and may or may not be used in next years matings.  The silver females are kind of dark but I am doing this cross for more than just color improvements.
Curtis

Curtis

John

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 08:35:21 PM »
I crossed a bantam silver cock over a bantam black hen, that carried lavender, this year.  Here is a pic of the 5 pullets, from the cross, that I'm keeping (so far) to breed from next year.  As day-old chicks they were black with brown on their heads.  They matured with silver (white) leakage, as in the photos.  One doesn't show any silver as I recall, but would have to go out and check her out in-hand to know for sure.  I expected the F1 chicks to be all black, assuming the bantam blacks were E/E.  From the results I now assume the hen was ER/ER or maybe E/ER.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 12:37:14 PM by John »

OldChurchEggery

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 11:59:43 AM »
Hello everybody. I wanted to post a picture of my lonesome silver pullet that I hatched from eggs Russ Blair sent me this spring. She hatched on Easter 2012, so she's 6 1/2 months old and hasn't started laying yet. Let me know if I need to scale down the picture so that it's easier to view. I had just taken her out of her coop and some of the Jersey Giants I have were scratching around below the bin I set her on. She is a little startled, but it's a good shot of her beard and muffs! Does she have too much shafting on her breast? Does this change after an adult moult?

Russ

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 11:04:54 PM »
I just saw this Erica, haven't been on here in a while. In my opinion she definitely has some shafting issues, probably a little more than I would like to see in my breeder pen. But that doesn't necessarily mean I would cull her either. I also look for some other serious faults in the silvers also like size, cross beaks, wing carriage, color etc. Then try to look for birds that have something I think will bring improvement in the area's I think need it. Wow I got a little off topic, lol I have been working better than 80hrs a week aahh. I hate to say it but the shafting will not get better in that pullet. At that age I would also like to think it will not get much worse either. Usually as they mature the shafting becomes more evident, at 6 mo you usually know how much shafting they will have. As far as laying it seems the silvers take longer to mature than some of the others. Here in Mi I usually do not expect to see eggs from my silver pullets until late winter early spring. Just one more thing to work on with the silvers  ;) . I hope this year will be a better one for you with the silver's, you had some horrible mishaps with the coon and all. Hope this helps... Oh yeah one more thing. The shafting on the breast is not what concerns me it is more the shafting I think I see in her tail feathers, back and wings. I would also like to see more stippling like what she has on her secondaries/ wing bay. Just so you know though I have yet to see a Hen/Pullet with NO shafting. I have some with very little and hope to one day see some without any but that day has yet to come. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:21:14 PM by Russ »

John

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 09:28:48 AM »
I really like the part of the photo featuring her head.  It shows off her muffs and although she isn't showing off her tail she looks quite nice.

OldChurchEggery

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 04:03:16 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen! I'm hoping to have a better go this spring with another batch of silvers. The coons here are terrible. I had one Jersey Giant cockerel lose the end joint of a toe because the coons were so tenacious they decided to bite feet through a suspended hutch that had rat wire on the bottom of one side!

She's so very calm that I may end up taking her for "show and tell" at the school where my mother teaches. If she turns out to be a good layer, I might keep her as a back-up breeder in the future but for now she can just be my little ambassador.