Author Topic: Opinions on this Blue...?  (Read 2665 times)

Opinions on this Blue...?
« on: August 11, 2008, 12:46:56 AM »
Hi all,

I am new here.  I have a few Ameraucana babies here... a splash and blue pullet and a black roo.  They are about 12 weeks old.  I was reading some of the other posts and came across one that described the proper lacing on a blue as (paraphrased) \'a blue feather with glossy black lacing.\'

Looking at this pic of my blue pullet, it seems her wing feathers do have that nice dark lacing, but the other feathers appear to be laced with a dark blue/gray instead.  Is that due to her age, or does she just not have the right lacing?

I will try to attach the pic... wish me luck!

Danielle

bantamhill

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 01:05:44 PM »
Danielle,

Very few, if any, large fowl or bantam blue Ameraucana have true Andalusian blue pattern lacing. That being said she is definitely a keeper from what I can see. Follow the following link to a picture of what the standard is really describing in color.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/Andalusian-B15.aspx

Michael

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 04:35:06 PM »
Hi Danielle

Looks like you\'re off to a good start. The lacing looks good in the photo.

We have some photos on our website if you\'re interested:
creefarm.fateback.com

Best of luck with your birds.
Warmest regards,
Lisa Cree

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
Thanks guys!  I did think she was a pretty girl.

Looking at the chicks that came from blue x blue matings (my chicks and those of a friend) it seems that the blues are developing faster and look nicer for their ages than the blacks and splashes of the same sex.  Is this common?  Or maybe just the effect of a small sample size?

Thanks again!!

Danielle

bantamhill

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 06:56:09 AM »
It could be a combination of sample size and line. Some lines of the different varieties mature a little slower.

Your pullet is very nice!

Michael