Author Topic: Splash Standards  (Read 8371 times)

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
Splash Standards
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 09:16:18 AM »
You can mark me down as a splash breeder for the count.  I have had a few all along as the obvious result of blue to blue breeding.  I even have some sort of splash/gold going on.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

Splash Standards
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 09:37:07 AM »
Lyne,

Could you post pics.

Tim

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Splash Standards
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 09:46:44 AM »
Tim, I assume you mean the splash/gold.  I will have to take some photos.  I\'ll aim for next weekend.  I\'ve been culling them so most of them are scattered amongst Easter Egg flocks in my area.  I do have a few still here (no bantams).
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

Splash Standards
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 07:17:51 PM »
I am a member of both Marans and Blue laced red Wyandotte breeders.

We were told, that in order to qualify for a \"qualifying meet\" to introduce a new variety/breed to the APA, we needed proof of a minimum of 5 breeders who have been breding for 5 years, and showing for the last 2. The showing part involved showing a minimum of a young trio  (under a year old) and an older trio (older than 1 year) per show.

Hope this helps.
Sue

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Splash Standards
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 02:18:36 PM »
Here is a photo of some splash goldish birds.  I\'m not sure what\'s going on with the gold.  There are splash laced red wyandottes, but I don\'t know if gold can lace a splash.  Of course, it can lace blue.

Anyway, I\'ve been culling them as messy splashes.  I might keep these and see what happens with them.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

Mike Gilbert

Splash Standards
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 02:58:06 PM »
Looks to me like they are splash with some diluted autosomal red superimposed in certain areas.    They could be something like a brown-red (Birchen e-locus) to which two doses of Bl (blue) is added.   Bl would lighten but not eliminate the red like recessive white would.   There is probably at least one other gene involved, possibly Dilute (DI).   If they resulted from blue crossed with your large fowl black gold project birds I would bet that is what these are.   If so, they should breed pretty true to what the pictures look like.

Korfus Kluckers

Splash Standards
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 01:49:05 PM »
Those are some pretty birds bryngyld!

Splash Standards
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 07:27:59 AM »
What does splash get when crossed on white?

Mike Gilbert

Splash Standards
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 08:18:49 AM »
I will assume you are asking about Ameraucanas, where the white is caused by the recessive white gene.    The answer could be different where white is caused by dominant white.
Anyway, it will depend on what genetics are being carried \"under\" the two copies of recessive white.   It is pretty safe to say you would get chicks that are partly blue or perhaps even entirely blue.  If the splash parent carries one copy of recessive white, you would get some all-white birds.
The short answer:  it depends.

Splash Standards
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 05:31:55 AM »
Thanks.  The whites I have probably came from a hatchery and are pure white with muffs and beards and pea combs but green shanks.  They have not started laying yet.    The only purebreds I have are the blacks I just picked up from Paul.  I was just wondering, if I ended up wanting to put a rooster in amongst them... either blue or splash... what would come out of the other color hens.  I have a couple other hatchery hens who seem to fit the silver and brown-red types.  I would like to learn more about color genetics, but it\'s so complicated!