Author Topic: Looking for trio to show in 4H  (Read 2462 times)

Looking for trio to show in 4H
« on: September 03, 2008, 03:27:49 PM »
I\'m hoping to find someone who has a show quality trio for sale that I can pick up at the Frankenmuth Show or the Ohio National Show.  I\'m not so much fussy about color, but I am partial to sliver.  These also will be for my son to show in 4H, after a couple of disappointing years of showing hatchery buff Orphs, we would like something winter hardy and gentle and showable.  
If you have a trio (maybe an extra hen or two) and can meet me at either place, please email me at hollianne2@aol.com
Thanks
Hollianne Jacobs
www.seaualait.com

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 05:42:31 PM »
Where I come, and as a former 4-H leader, the kids are expected to raise their own birds to show.   If you want decent breeding stock to produce hatching eggs, all well and good.   But there is little merit in showing the result of someone else\'s work in my opinion, as far too little is learned in the process.    

John

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 08:02:36 PM »
Hollianne,

I don\'t have any extra birds to sell, but hopefully someone will have bantam Ameraucanas for sale in the sale area in Frankenmuth.  It will be the NC district meet for the club.

Hope to you you and your family there,

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 09:09:11 PM »
Mike, he has raised his own.  He\'s raised black rosecombs, buff orphs and a variety of other that have not worked out.   We incubate all the time.  But if you don\'t have good stock, you won\'t get good egg or chickens.  I\'ve tried buying eggs and having them shipped.  That never works well.  Our success rate is poor when they go through the PO.  I even thought it was our incubator and tried our farm eggs, we hatched over 40 chickens of mixed breeding.   UGH
If he gets them now, and takes care of them all winter, how is that any different?

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 09:22:31 PM »
I will have some roosters that are 5 months old now for sale at Frankenmuth.  They are real pretty.  My mom won\'t let me keep them all so 5 are for sale.  They are standard size.

Rachel