Author Topic: 2008 National Meet  (Read 8772 times)

Mike Gilbert

2008 National Meet
« on: October 27, 2008, 08:47:21 PM »
The 2008 ABC National is history.    About ten members plus several juniors  attended and showed this year.    I\'m sure club officers will have complete results and photos posted soon, but here are a few of the preliminary results, and these are strictly from memory as I didn\'t write anything down.  Jeoff Stevens of Wisconsin had best large fowl on a black pullet, and I believe Jerry DeSmidt had reserve large fowl on a white.   In the bantams, club secretary Michael Muenks cleaned house with top bantam and overall Ameraucana champion on an excellent black hen.   Michael also had reserve Am. bantam on a well laced blue hen.   Top display went to Jerry on whites, and reserve display to yours truly on blue wheaten bantams.     The quality was deep in several of the classes, and the white bantams stood out as very deep with many excellent birds being passed over for top honors.   Bob Walchak had best and reserve in the white bantams on a male and a female - sorry I didn\'t get the exact classes.   Al Nichols had some outstanding birds, including top AOV bantam on a beautiful splash hen or pullet and a beautiful white cock bird that just had one dark feather in the hackle.   I know we set a record for most large fowl brown reds, as sixteen were shown by three exhibitors.    Much more will be written I\'m sure, but thought some of you might like some preliminary information.

John

2008 National Meet
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
Here are a few photos from our national meet in Hutchinson, MN this past weekend.

Mike Gilbert

2008 National Meet
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 09:02:42 PM »
Looks like that last trio of old roosters with their muffs should have been inside, not running around outside the coops.   Don\'t see any prize winners among them though.    So guys - where are the pictures of the BIRDS???

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
2008 National Meet
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 09:09:19 PM »
Ok, I\'m about ready to burst waiting to see pictures of the BB, RB, BV, RV birdies.............
Jean

John

2008 National Meet
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 09:06:40 AM »
birdies.............

I\'ve got the photos and a list of winners (from Jerry).  I just need to find time to put them together and uploaded.

FYI (according to Jerry),

Best trio went to the LF Black of Jeoff Stevens
Reserve Trio went to Bantam Blue Wheaten of Mike Gilbert

Best Display went to the LF White of Jerry De Smidt
Reserve Display went to the Bantam Blue Wheaten of Mike Gilbert

Best Ameraucana Overall went to Michael Muenks
Reserve overall Ameraucana went to Jeoff Stevens

Best Bantam Hen eggs went to Robert Walchak
Reserve Bantam hen eggs went to Mike Gilbert

Best Bantam Pullet eggs went to Robert Walchak
Reserve Bantam Pullet eggs went to Dan Pasche

Best LF hen eggs went to Jerry De Smidt
Reserve LF hen eggs went to Jerry De Smidt

Best LF pullet eggs went to Jerry De Smidt

John

2008 National Meet
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 02:11:41 PM »
Here are the winning bantam Ameraucanas. Please let me know of any corrections and note that the photos weren\'t taken by a professional and the subjects didn\'t always strike the proper poses.

John

2008 National Meet
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 02:42:22 PM »
Winning large fowl...

Mike Gilbert

2008 National Meet
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 09:50:25 PM »
Thank you John.     Some of these birds looked much better in real life, but at  least it gives viewers an idea of what was there this year.   We missed Barbara and Paul and others that usually show large fowl, but I think it was a very successful national meet all considered.  Dan Pasche of Minnesota had a number of bantams entered, but could not show them unfortunately.   Congratulations to Michael on his beautiful black bantam hen, and to all the other participants.     Being from the Badger state I couldn\'t help but notice that 20 of the 32 winners pictured are Wisconsin birds.   That will probably change next year when our National Meet will be located in another district.

Blue Egg Acres

2008 National Meet
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 11:08:38 AM »
Yes, thanks John for the pictures. I wish we could have been there but it just wasn\'t possible this year. Will look forward to seeing all of you next year. Congrats too all - beautiful specimens!
Michael, I especially like your LF wheaten :)

2008 National Meet
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 02:51:10 PM »
Get any pictures of the eggs?
Thanks!

Mike Gilbert

2008 National Meet
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 07:47:22 PM »
Rose,
Take a look at the second picture of John\'s first post on this thread.   I know they are not close - ups, but the eggs are in the picture.   I know they don\'t look very blue, but lighting makes a lot of difference.    Michael Muenks took the eggs outside to judge their color.

John

2008 National Meet
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 07:59:59 PM »
I do have a few more photos to share.  
NC District Director Jerry De Smidt presented many of the awards.  Here is a photo of him presenting Shannon her Junior exhibitor awards.  One of Michael Muenks and his daughters accepting awards from Jerry and also me presenting the ABC Lifetime Achievement award...Nate is accepting it on behalf of Jerry Segler.

2008 National Meet
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 08:30:18 PM »
Is the National always held in the same place?

Sterling

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
2008 National Meet
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 08:34:35 PM »
No, it is rotated each year between the different districts.

ETA:  Jerry it looks like you did a great job organizing and getting wonderful awards for the winners!
Jean

bantamhill

2008 National Meet
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 06:26:57 PM »
Just to give a flavor of recent locations:

2008 - Hutchinson, MN
2007 - Great Falls, MT
2006 - Frankenmuth, MI
2005 - Sedalia, MO
2004 - Portage, WI

We will know in the next month or so where the 2009 National Meet will be.

Michael