Author Topic: Barred Ameraucana  (Read 35223 times)

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Barred Ameraucana
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2008, 08:56:50 PM »
I\'ve got to stick up for the cranky troll (sorry Mike) here and ask because I really have to know.  I have only been a serious breeder for about 4-5 years now.

How many other breeds are out there that have more than eight recognized color patterns??  I don\'t think there are very many.  And, I believe the ones that do are very old breeds.

By the way at Last years Ameraucana Nationals in a very small town in Montana:

\"The number of Ameraucanas shown were 69 bantams and 70 large fowl\"

The economy and gas prices affected the ability of some of our members to attend.

Jean
Jean

Barred Ameraucana
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2008, 09:37:52 PM »
I don\'t mean to disprespect him either. Johnny come latelies should not be shouted down on their first foray. Johnny come latelies are the new blood and money that drives the growth of both the club and the breed. Johnny come latelies like to learn and are open to new ideas and proven methods. If you only keep the same old same old, might as well call it a museum and charge five dollars a peek. I fully respect what you have built, and have no intention to tear it down. I thank you for your insight and responses. I apoligize for my ignorance and breach from \"tradition\" since my posts on this board comprise my entire exposure to Amaraucana traditions, I\'d say you may rest your staff, you have saved the day from another Johnny Come Lately. I will never harm your breed, or your club. I will never cast an erring vote. I will never attend a meeting or a show and embarrass you with some off colored bird. I will never pay dues or sponsor club activities, or sponsor a kid. Your club is safe. Sleep well. You have conqured another Johnny Come Lately.

Mike Gilbert

Barred Ameraucana
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2008, 07:59:59 AM »

Glen,
Thanks so much for your kind words.   Peace to you to my friend.   I wish I could have been there to see that many Barred Rocks, as I really admire them.    I have a good friend, Earl Wilhelmi here in Wisconsin, who has some of the best, and usually is the only one showing them.   As long as you don\'t try to raise them with fast feathering, more nervous type breeds it certainly can be done very successfully.   I can only get to so many shows each year, as have quite a few other commitments that demand my time.   Hope you have a good day.

John

Barred Ameraucana
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2008, 02:03:04 PM »
Patty,
We do need the so called \"Johnny come latelies\" and all of us started out there.  From what I\'ve read you are not a novice when it comes to poultry.  
I appreciate your thoughts on shank color and also those of Glen and Anne that were also posted recently.  I believe all three of you raise valid points.  As I said before there are already varying degrees of slate and even black shank/leg descriptions for Ameraucanas in the Standard.  If color/pattern genes didn\'t have an affect on shank color we wouldn\'t allow black, only one shade of slate.
For many years there were (and maybe still are) many birds with yellow and willow shanks shown as Ameraucanas and made it very difficult for the breed and this club to gain the same respect as others, especially among the old timers.  We now have a breed that is respected and generally accepted by fanciers.  I don\'t believe you or the others on this forum want to \"harm\" the breed or club by raising the questions you have.  Sometimes knowing some of the history of the breed and club helps to understand why opinions are what they are.
Some Ameraucana varieties were accepted by the APA before they existed.  In recent years I\'ve worked on the new lavender varieties in bantams and large fowl, but spent about 20 years helping to develop some of those \"accepted\" varieties before trying a new one.  If others want to breed-up new varieties it is completely up to them and this forum can be a great tool to share ideas, trials, successes and whatever about the project.  
Keep in mind that it takes 5 breeders for 5 years and a big qualifying meet to get a variety accepted.  To get that type of support I think anyone would also want the support of the breed club.  I\'m sure the club members wouldn\'t support yellow, willow or white shanks.  
Others don\'t have to agree, but I believe that just because it is assumed to by genetically impossible to breed true slate or black shanks on some varieties doesn\'t mean it can never ever happen.  As I said in an earlier post...

If you can get a barred, cuckoo or other variety to breed true for any type of true slate (from light to dark) or black shanks I would think you have a viable variety.    

Mike Gilbert

Barred Ameraucana
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2008, 03:55:45 PM »
Yes, by all means, try to breed a barred bird with true slate shanks.   \"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.\"    I\'ve got $100 for the first person that achieves a line of crisply barred, truly slate shanked Ameraucanas.   I\'m putting my money where my mouth is, and I will be the first to congratulate that person.   John, you and I will have to agree to disagree on this issue.     Here are my thoughts, not that anyone gives a hoot.    We don\'t need more varieties, we need better varieties.   Likewise, we could use more dedicated, knowledgeable, and productive  members instead of merely padding the membership list numberwise by catering to every whimsical notion that comes down the pike.
Take Jean out west for example - she seems to be doing great things with her birds.   Paul, Barbara, Jerry and many others have worked hard, but we still have too few dedicated breeders for the sixteen recognized varieties (8 large, 8 bantam).   None of us have unlimited time, money, and facilities, so when we all go in different directions very little gets accomplished.