Author Topic: Grandpa Tiny\'s Frankenmuth Fowl Fest  (Read 7377 times)

Mike Gilbert

Grandpa Tiny\'s Frankenmuth Fowl Fest
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 08:44:37 PM »
Nice pictures John.   Jim looks just about the same.   Did you have a chance to visit with him?    Did he say anything about his Ameraucana bantams?   Wish we could have been there, but as it turns out it would have been impossible anyway.

John

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 12:27:23 PM »
I didn\'t have much time to visit with anyone for long...just way too busy as show superintendent.  Jim\'s dauther Norma was with him.  He would like to get better muffs on the silver bantams.  I told him I think the problem is the silvers, both large and bantam, are \"harder\" feathered varieties than most other Ameraucanas.
Kathy and I are looking forward to this weekend at the national in MN, not so much to show birds but to relate and visit with friends.

John

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 05:49:26 PM »
Check out this link to a story about the Fowl Fest by a local TV station.  They don\'t show any Ameraucanas, but our club banner gets into one shot and it gives you a good idea what the show looks like.
http://www.wnem.com:80/video/17933159/index.html
The link works as of today, but may not work in the future.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 10:04:29 PM »
Great publicity for your show!    Thanks for a glimpse of an up and coming show for the upper midwest.   I only wish it was longer and showed even more people and birds.  

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 09:44:58 AM »
Nice video clip.  I kept watching to see an Ameraucana, but they didn\'t make the show  :stare:  Too bad.  Looked like a really nice show.

grisaboy

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 08:53:32 AM »
Quote from: John

In order to give junior exhibitors the most opportunities to win all birds were judged in the open show.  

I like this idea.  I have seen some very nice birds in the Junior shows that would compete very well in Open class.
What a thrill it would be for a Junior to win best of breed or better. Also, it gives Juniors a better chance to meet other breeders of their favorite variety.  I would like to see this adopted by more shows.

Curtis

John

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 08:42:02 PM »
I would like to see this adopted by more shows.

I think it had several benefits, but required some extra time for judging.  I heard from a couple old-timers that they didn\'t think the juniors should be eligible for awards in the open show plus their own special competition because they only paid one entry fee for the open show like everyone else.  Remember rule number one...you can\'t please all the people all the time.  
I\'ve never been big into showing and would much rather win $ than awards, but some feel differently and I think most of the juniors want ribbons, rosettes, plaques and whatever other award is offered.  This gave them that opportunity and many of them took home the awards.
We even put the champion Jr birds on Championship Row Saturday just before handing out thier \"special\" awards.  We Then put those birds back and put the open show winners on Championship Row, which included some Jr entries, and left them there until after the open show awards were handed out on Sunday morning.