Author Topic: Tail less birds  (Read 8663 times)

Tail less birds
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 07:16:46 AM »
No the tardy feathering gene is a different gene than the sex linked K gene. Sex linked traits are used to sex day old chicks. I have had birds that do not have tail feathers until they are over two months old. I want the slower feather growth in my birds. I am working on a barred rhode island red. Slower feather growth means better bars.  White bars on a red back ground is a challenge and I need all the genetic help I can get.

Tim

Tail less birds
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 10:06:45 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
Okay, I found my Sellers genetics info.  

Mike - can you provide the details on this book?  I would like to get a copy.  I work in the (human) genetics field and would like to learn more about my new friends, the chickens!

Thanks,
Danielle in Utah

Tail less birds
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 10:49:31 PM »

Tail less birds
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 11:02:20 PM »
 :D Cool!  Thanks!

Mike Gilbert

Tail less birds
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 11:24:30 PM »
Tim,
The Sellers site lists four possibilities at the K locus, but I can\'t find anything about a \"tardy\" feathering gene.   What is the symbol, and where can we read about it?   Thanks.

Mike

Tail less birds
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 08:14:45 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
Tim,
The Sellers site lists four possibilities at the K locus, but I can\'t find anything about a \"tardy\" feathering gene.   What is the symbol, and where can we read about it?   Thanks.

Mike

Mike check out the Maran Genetics page at http://marans-club.club.fr/genetiqa.htm#genetiqa

It is a little hard to follow sometimes due to the translation from French, but it does discuss and give the symbols for the slow feathering alleles at K.  Hope that is helpful.

Danielle in Utah (using Liz in Utah\'s computer  ;))

Mike Gilbert

Tail less birds
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 11:20:05 PM »
Danielle In Utah:   Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for the t allele.    That was interesting reading, and was new ground to plow for me.     I came away with a newfound appreciation for the complexities of plumage development in the early stages of a chicks growth.

On the other hand, the section on shank and skin color is poorly written and innaccurate.   For example, it says that birds that are Bl/Bl (splash) or wheaten must have clear colored legs.   As Ameraucana breeders we know that to be untrue.    It is true that the wheaten gene slows down the development of melanin pigment in the dermis, but it does eventually develop at anywhere from two to six weeks of age.

Tail less birds
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 06:24:19 PM »
Mike,

Jones and Hutt carried out a study and was published in 1946 concerning the tardy feathing gene. Warren also carried out studies in the 30\'s. The tardy gene is only expressed in birds that are rapid feathering.

Marans do not carry the dermal melanin gene like Ameraucana. Marans should have nice clean shanks and legs. I have never seen any studies on the effects of homozygous blue on dermal melanin but it stands to reason that two blue genes could inhibit epidermal melanin. Birds that are extended black (self black) normally have black shanks and feet. The blue genes do inhibit black pigment production so the legs would be clean because of the inhibition of eumelanin.

Tim

Mike Gilbert

Tail less birds
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 06:36:05 PM »
Tim,
Nevertheless, melanin in the dermis shows through the transluscent epidermis.   We have splash birds with slate legs, but they are not as dark as a black or a blue, as there is no melanin in the epidermis.  

QUADCH

Tail less birds
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2008, 01:41:20 PM »
The bird looked sparse in feather, but I never handled her to get a closer look. Here are some current photos. The tail feathers are coming in and wing feathers are normal.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Tail less birds
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2008, 11:04:48 PM »
Pretty sure that\'s a him....

Jean
Jean

QUADCH

Tail less birds
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 09:50:50 AM »
Yes, your right, I meant him.  The other cockerel is short tailed too. The pullet is normal feathered. A real cutie.