Author Topic: Chicks off to a bad start  (Read 3001 times)

Chicks off to a bad start
« on: September 26, 2008, 07:35:35 PM »
Greetings! I am new here and would love some help. I bought some Purebred blue Ameraucana baby chicks from a woman claiming to have a Heritage Farm near me, however when I recieved the chicks they were in very sad condition. One of them had a deformed skull and mal-aligned beak. The other two, are in bad shape as well. I have had them almost two weeks now, the women had told me they were born on September 2nd, yet they aren\'t nearly close to being feathered out yet!

The chick with the deformed skull passed away the night before last. I just don\'t know what to do to help these little guys. I posted on Backyard Chickens dot com for help but also thought I may find help here that is specific to Ameraucana\'s, any suggestions?

They are so sweet, slate shanks, white feet, slate eyes, and are blue (passed away last night) self blue (I think) black and splash. They cheap non-stop as if they are under duress (not because they are too cold, they are in a brooder with light in my living room) and the black one has consistently beat up the others, I mean it\'s almost non-stop pecking and chest bumping with that little one, not sure what to do about that either?

Some info: I feed chick crumble, unmedicated 20% protein. I give them plain organic cultured in cup yoghurt every morning.

Thanks in advance for any info!!

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 08:17:15 PM »
wanted to update I took out their red 250 heat bulb and put in a regular 75 watt-their peeps have decreased dramatically.

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 01:15:16 AM »
I don\'t know of any breed specific problems with Ameraucana chicks.  Good luck with you little ones.  

By the way, self blue can be defined as a lavender color that is not associated with Andalusian blue, that includes black, blue and splash.  Self blue can also be used just to describe a lighter Andalusian blue without lacing.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 09:56:43 AM »
Thank you

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 04:15:20 PM »
Sounds like incubator conditions and not genetics.

Tim