Author Topic: 1st Eggs Still Not Here  (Read 3855 times)

Tailfeathers

1st Eggs Still Not Here
« on: October 13, 2008, 04:33:30 PM »
Hi Y\'all,

Looking for some advice.  I just got my first egg on 10/6 from my Ameraucanas that were born on 4/15.

I didn\'t get to see who laid it so I\'m not sure if it was a Blue Wheaten or Wheaten. It was small, of course, since being a first egg and it was a light blue.  Almost the exact same color as the duck eggs that we\'re getting.

Anyways, I sure was excited to see that egg.  I was starting to get worried.  October 6th makes just one day short of 25 weeks.  I\'ve seen the various cockerels chasing the Ameraucana pullets around so I expected I\'d be seeing more anyday.  However, we\'re only getting two Ameraucana eggs a day so that leaves four pullets that still aren\'t laying and they\'re 26 weeks old now.  

How long should I wait before I should worry about them possibly being sterile or something?

Hope y\'alls birds are doing well and everything is great with you and yours.

God Bless,

Mike Gilbert

1st Eggs Still Not Here
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 07:37:59 PM »
There is really no way for anyone to accurately predict that.  You will find a great deal of variability among different Ameraucana strains.

Tailfeathers

1st Eggs Still Not Here
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 08:21:55 PM »
Thanks Mike.  I should\'ve added that I have them on 15 hours of light.

While I understand that there can be some variation, I was under the understanding that they will lay somewhere between 20-24 weeks.  What would be the latest that I should expect in order to begin to look for whether or not they will lay at all?

God Bless,

Mike Gilbert

1st Eggs Still Not Here
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 09:28:22 PM »
I would guesstimate about 8 to 10 months of age.

bantamhill

1st Eggs Still Not Here
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 09:58:37 PM »
I have had some go as long as 12 months on lights . . . It is very much strain specific and should be worked on if a strain is slow to lay . . . remember Ameraucana are a dual purpose breed. I find in general the bantam lay faster than all the large fowl except for silver and buff here in Missouri.

Michael

Tailfeathers

1st Eggs Still Not Here
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 03:28:47 PM »
Wow!  I had no idea.  That sounds strange to me as I have not read anywhere else - whether it be wrt Ameraucanas or another breed - that it could take up to 12 months for a first egg.

I have read that the larger breeds such as the Jersey Giant will take longer to get the first egg but from what I read that was around 6 months of age.  

It would seem to me that one would want to cull a bird well before 12 months that wasn\'t laying - unless it was of exceptional show quality and subsequently would be used for show with no expectation of breeding.  

This is, of course, understanding that the birds have had supplemental light provided so they get at least the required 14 hours of light per day.