Author Topic: Straw coloring?  (Read 2444 times)

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
Straw coloring?
« on: January 25, 2009, 06:27:05 PM »
I just returned from the Stockton show.  There were probably a dozen bantams and a dozen large fowl and half a dozen exhibitors.  There were some great birds and some that were DQ\'ed.  I had a brown red bantam hen that was DQed for \"stubbs\".    Where she decided to get those, I\'ve no clue.

ANYWAY, I noticed a cream light brown Dutch bantam that had very interesting light gold straw color.  I finally found someone who understood the genetics of it and they told me is was a mutation that dilutes red without diluting black.  It is recessive so once you have it, it will breed true.

VERY interesting.  Can you see the color in this photo?  The back in the light brown is dark red and the hackles are orangish.  They have bred the cream gene into the mille fleur and the result is a solid cream with black.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

Mike Gilbert

Straw coloring?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 07:31:33 PM »
Yes, these have been around for awhile.   The genetic symbol for cream is \"ig.\"    Lower case i denotes recessiveness.

I believe it is common practice to examine show birds for bits of fluff or feather growing between the toes or along the outside of the shanks, and then removing it prior to showing.   I would not characterize stubs as being common or prevalent among Ameraucana stock, but it can happen, especially as the result of outcrossing to different strains.  Stubs are common amongst certain varieties of Wyandotte and Japanese bantams.   From a breeding pespective it is very important not to mate two Ameraucanas both of which carry stubs, as that has the potential of perpetuating a disqualifying trait, and sometimes even creating partially feather legged offspring.