Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Breeding / Re: Wheaten and blue wheaten progress
« Last post by Lindsay Helton on October 12, 2021, 09:37:03 PM »
They look great 🤟🤟

Thank you!
Breeding / Re: Question on Black Ameraucana
« Last post by Lindsay Helton on October 10, 2021, 09:10:52 PM »
Based on the photo you sent it appears to be sun damage.
« Last post by JD Mendoza on October 10, 2021, 04:00:49 PM »
Hi Lindsay she is 1 year old I let them free range for couple hours
« Last post by Lindsay Helton on October 10, 2021, 01:45:37 PM »
Do you have any photos? How old is the hen?

Many birds will get a rusty hue to their plumage around the time of their molt. Out with the old and in with the new.

Another issue some color varieties encounter is brassiness. Brassiness is a defect that can occur as a result of the genetic make-up of the particular bird, exposure to sun rays or certain items in the diet.
Breeding / Question on Black Ameraucana
« Last post by JD Mendoza on October 09, 2021, 10:47:43 PM »
Hello, all I was wondering if sun can effect Black Ameraucana hen she has rusty brown feathers on one side of her feathers
« Last post by Spencer on October 07, 2021, 07:19:24 PM »
They look great 🤟🤟
Exhibiting & Promoting / Re: Red River Bantam Club Show October 2, 2021
« Last post by Paul on October 06, 2021, 06:06:34 PM »
Kris,
Not this year.
« Last post by Lindsay Helton on October 06, 2021, 04:28:01 PM »
Thanks! I’m good with a camera and they do need some work. They have definitely gotten better though. I raised 18 males this season to maturity and am “very happy” with two and “mostly happy” with two others. Being pleased with 4 of 18 (22% of the males) is decent considering how hard the wheaten and blue wheaten are to work with, especially regarding all the coloration issues one must watch for, but I would like to get that percentage higher. I’m fairly picky. I kept one wheaten cockbird from last year. I raised 20 pullets. 12 made it through the cut and were considered breeding quality IMO (60%). I am not concerned with keeping large numbers, so I culled down to 9, as the 9 were considered show quality IMO (45%). I may cull down one more time and keep 7 because two of the pullets have attributes I want to select against. Those 7 combined with the 6 hens I kept from last years hatches along with the four cockerels and one cock should hopefully produce some decent birds for 2022.
Breeding / Re: Muffs and Beard (Mb)
« Last post by Lindsay Helton on October 06, 2021, 10:09:10 AM »
Some of the pullets in my pullet pens are misbehaving and preening each other’s beards. Unfortunately I can’t single stall them for conditioning because white bantam are taking up those pens.
Breeding / Re: Muffs and Beard (Mb)
« Last post by kkdossey on October 06, 2021, 07:17:13 AM »
Thank you for the info.
Some of my birds tend to keep their partners muffs picked pretty well off and I may have some heteros in there.  I've got to make sure I know for sure they're homo before I use them.  I need to separate them and let them grow back I guess.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10