Ameraucana Breeder's Club Ameraucana Breeders Club FaceBook Page Ameraucana Breeders Club

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Upcoming Meets / Re: Missouri State Poultry Double Show, 10/27/2018, Sedalia, MO
« Last post by Paul on August 19, 2018, 03:17:08 PM »
This will be an ABC meet for both shows.
I just started sorting birds out and have only been through the oldest pen - birds hatched in Feb.  But I've got 3 cockerels from that pen and 3 pullets - all are black, but some of them came from one of my blue x blue pens.  A couple of them are out of the pen sired by my first Grand CH, Solomon.

I need to move them out, so I'm willing to negotiate.  Then the next round will the second oldest group with youngsters hatched in March and early April.
Thanks Thomas, I hope you are doing well this season,     I hope folks will see your note here and get in touch.   Anyone who has extras in the SE area feel free to post on this thread. And of course any member is welcome to start a thread in the Ameraucana Market place anytime.   Thanks!    drc
Hey Don
I dont know if you or anyone else is still looking for a Roo? But I have 2 young Blues I need to find a new home for.

I think we may have found a match for this request so thank you for all of the responses.  It's great to see how people respond to help other breeders who need birds. We did find a breeder in SC that has some extra Wheaten/BW males if anyone is in need of one.    If you do have extras, feel free to let me know and or post them here on the Ameraucana Marketplace.    Have a good night!    drc

We have someone looking for Blue, Blue wheaten or Splash Wheaten (males expecially) that might be close to someone making the trip from Charlotte to Alabama.  drop me a line if you help someone get started.    Thanks   Don Cash  drccash@yahoo.com 
Housing, Health & Hatching / Re: Over 2 decades of experience
« Last post by Paul on August 08, 2018, 09:29:24 PM »
                                                       Vaccination Program

Time has gotten away!  I can hardly believe its been almost two years since I have shared on this thread.  Plan to do better in the future.

Summer is an excellent time to start an annual vaccination program for your flock.  As the temps get high, the interest in purchasing birds gets low.  Its too hot to ship birds and the incubators are shut down, so ceasing all movement of birds doesn’t disrupt much.

We vaccinate our entire flock for LT when the last retained hatch of our hatching season is four weeks of age.  Laryngotracheitis is a viral respiratory disease that infects chickens (normally 14 weeks or older) pheasants, peacocks, chickens and turkeys.  Each state animal health agency has its own rules dealing with LT.  Texas’s rules are , if you get LT in your flock, your flock will be euthanized.  Pennsylvania and Georgia use to require that the birds must be vaccinated before they can be shown.  We had the misfortune of losing out flock in 2004.  The Texas Animal Health Commission worked with us to allow us to save hatching eggs so we could retain our genetics before the entire flock was destroyed.  The large commercial flocks do not want to have to vaccinate for LT, so the plan is to keep LT out of the state.

There are two kinds of vaccine for LT.  The only one that should be used in a breeding show flock is LT-IVAX which is a highly modified live virus vaccine that will not cause the vaccinated birds to be carriers of LT.  It is intended to be an eye drop, but should be dropped into the bird’s nostrils so it will not cause eye infections.  The instructions say it may cause eye infections, remove the doubt; it will cause eye problems if dropped into the eye.

A second round of LT vaccination must be administered six weeks later.  The entire flock is vaccinated again.  A few weeks after the first round of LT vaccinations, the entire flock is vaccinated for fowl pox.  Fowl Pox is caused by a virus which is carried by mosquitoes.  A poultry person doesn’t have to go to a show or anything to get fowl pox.  The mosquitoes will bring it to your birds.  White sores normally will appear on the birds’ combs and waddles (if they have waddles), and red parts of their face.

Pox vaccinations are administered with a double needle applicator which comes with the vaccine.  The applicator is dipped into the vaccine which charges both needles.  Spread the birds wing.  Remove fluff feather from the underside of the web (about the size of a dime).  Then push the needles through the birds web missing any large blood vessels, bones and the wing muscles.  Continue the same process until all birds are vaccinated.  The chicks need to be at least 8 weeks old for the pox vaccine that we use.  Some pox vaccines allow 6 week old chicks to be vaccinated. 

A test can be preformed to see if mosquitoes are in your area.  Put about 2 inches of water in a 5 gallon bucket, then place a gallon jug inside the bucket.  Place the 5 gallon bucket with the water and jug in the area you want tested, in the early afternoon or evening.  The next morning remove the gallon jug and watch for mosquitoes to fly out of the 5 gallon bucket.  I have performed this experiment with rain water, well water and chlorinated community water with very little to no noticeable difference in the number of mosquitoes in each bucket.

There are several diseases which infect poultry.  Many diseases have vaccines to prevent them from infecting the birds.  Each state has its own rules dealing with each disease.  Texas doesn’t allow several of the vaccines to be used.  Check with your state’s animal health agency for information on which diseases your flock should be vaccinated for protection in your area.

I use to have the attitude-”Why vaccinate if you don’t have a problem?”  The answer is, so you will not have a problem.  The old saying “an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure” comes to be true when dealing with poultry diseases.”
News and Information / Jeff and Sherry Vance's rebuilding begins
« Last post by Don on August 07, 2018, 09:31:14 AM »
This is the same message posted in the member's section last week. I know many folks don't log in, so wanted it to be more visible.  Thanks!   drc

Many of you already know that there was an overnight fire at Jeff and Sherry's place a couple of weeks ago, they think caused by a lightening strike.  Thankfully it did not spread the the surround woods and the adjoinning homes. Unfortunately it took most of their young bird coops, brooders, some of their prized brood pens and about 180 birds. Also they lost a good bit of their field records, a fully conditioned building and all of their construction tools. I know that several folks have offered condolances and some have sent money as well.

Jeff has nearly finished the clearing of the site and is planning a slow progressive rebuild. I know some folks have talked with him about getting his lines of birds rebuilt during the next couple of seasons too.  We all wish them a complete recovery of their lines of both Bantam and Large Fowl AMs.

Anyone that would like to contribute to the new construction can contact the Vances the following ways. And anyone that would like to contribute anonomously is welcome to drop me a note to discuss.  Thanks in advance.    drccash@yahoo.com

Jeff's paypal:  Jefferydvance44@gmail.com
mailing address:   PO Box 380, Brenton WV 24818

jefferydvance44@gmail.com

Po box 380
Brenton WV 24818

Come join us for a great Celebration of 40 years, from 1978-2018 at the Dayton Fancy Feathers Poultry Show, Oct 6-7, 2018 in Greenville, OH!  Wonderful folks, Beautiful Birds, Fantastic Prizes will all be there!

Even if you can't make it to the show, sponsor a trophy or award! When you sponsor a trophy or award, your name is printed on the card that accompanies the trophy, listed on our website and FB page as a sponsor, and listed on any print or internet ads.

We hope to see you there.

Come join us for a great Celebration of 40 years, from 1978-2018 at the Dayton Fancy Feathers Poultry Show, Oct 6-7, 2018 in Greenville, OH!  Wonderful folks, Beautiful Birds, Fantastic Prizes will all be there!

Even if you can't make it to the show, sponsor a trophy or award! When you sponsor a trophy or award, your name is printed on the card that accompanies the trophy, listed on our website and FB page as a sponsor, and listed on any print or internet ads.

We hope to see you there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10