Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
News and Information / Seeking approval for a project color
« Last post by Lindsay Helton on Today at 12:09:14 AM »
I have received a few inquiries regarding how a color variety is admitted to the APA Standard for a breed.

Are you interested in seeking approval for an Ameraucana project color with the APA? Read below!

The APA has a stringent approval process in order to ensure that there is a solid base of breeders working on a new variety and that it has reached a stage that could be classified as standardized. During an approval process, you will need the following:

✔️A petition for recognition of a new variety that is submitted at least 1 year prior to the first qualifying meet which includes the history of its origin, background, and relevant educational material. The proposed name for the variety and the Standard should also be included.

✔️A deposit of the sum sufficient to defray the actual cost of placing the text in the Standard shall be received with the petition ($300 per variety).

✔️Affidavits should be submitted from not less than 5 breeders, of 18 years of age or older, stating they have bred the variety for not less than 5 years and that it produces not less than 50% of all specimens reasonably true to type, color, size and comb. All 5 breeders must be APA members for a minimum of 5 years before the first qualifying meet can take place.

✔️Certificates showing 4 or more specimens have been exhibited in each class of cocks, hens, cockerels and pullets in each of the preceding 2 years at a show officiated by a licensed A.P.A. judge must be submitted. The Standard Committee will contact the judge for his or her confidential opinion of the quality and uniformity.

✔️The Standard Committee shall name 2 qualifying meets, the first at a regional show and the second at the Annual Convention. The meets are to be at least 1  year apart. The committee will consist of at least 2 judges with at least one being from the Standard of Perfection committee.

✔️The 2 qualifying meets must consist of not less than 25 specimens for a new variety exhibited by at least five exhibitors in equal numbers of cock, hen, cockerel and pullet. All exhibitors participating at the qualifying meets must be members of the Association at the time of judging. The qualifying meet judge will be required to complete the APA qualifying meet form outlining his or her assessment of the breed or variety and recommendations regarding whether they demonstrate sufficient quality to be admitted.

✔️The Standard Committee will report to the APA Board of Directors on the qualifying meet, including the Standard Committee’s recommendation regarding the admission of the new variety.

✔️The APA Board of Directors then votes on the recognition of the new variety.

Hopefully this post will be helpful to breeders interested in pursuing approval for an Ameraucana project color!
Breeding / Re: Genetics of breeding dominant white
« Last post by Lindsay Helton on May 09, 2024, 11:35:43 PM »
Yep!

I bet the whites you had were recessive white. You would need dominant white birds.

You can always get into Dalmatians later!
You’re welcome. I kept having to refer people to a blue, black and splash chart and have them replace the verbiage with wheaten, blue wheaten and splash wheaten. Figured this would be more helpful.
Exhibiting & Promoting / Re: Exhibitor points updated
« Last post by Lindsay Helton on May 09, 2024, 10:58:27 PM »
Also, in 2024 we will begin keeping up with yearly totals again for those that care. We have always kept up with total points but when I trained on the secretarial processes yearly totals were not brought to my attention. Total points are correct.
This is very helpful and much easier to understand with the pictures and numbers.
Thanks for making this.
« Last post by kkdossey on May 09, 2024, 10:43:58 PM »
So your saying all you need to make the dalmatian is a pure black and a dominant white?  And I got rid of my whites because I had no females.  And I could have been making dalmatians?  This post came about a year too late for me.
Exhibiting & Promoting / Exhibitor points updated
« Last post by Lindsay Helton on May 09, 2024, 05:01:06 PM »
« Last post by Lindsay Helton on May 09, 2024, 01:21:38 PM »
Here is the breeding chart!
A few interesting facts about Wheaten, Blue Wheaten and Splash Wheaten Ameraucana:

✔️ Wheaten, Blue Wheaten and Splash Wheaten Ameraucana are built on eWh.

✔️ Wheaten, Blue Wheaten and Splash Wheaten Ameraucana all look the same at hatch. Their color variety becomes apparent at a few weeks of age as they feather in.

✔️ Wheaten, Blue Wheaten and Splash Wheaten Ameraucana hatch with flesh colored shanks and toes that turn slate as they mature.

✔️ Wheaten, Blue Wheaten and Splash Wheaten Ameraucana females reflect their color variety in their wings and tails.

✔️ The Blue(Bl) gene creates the difference in the plumage colors of the three color varieties. Wheaten Ameraucana contain 0 copies of the Blue gene, Blue Wheaten Ameraucana contain 1 copy of the Blue gene and Splash Wheaten Ameraucana contain 2 copies of the Blue gene.

✔️ The Wheaten and Blue Wheaten Ameraucana color varieties have been admitted to the Standard but the Splash Wheaten color variety has not been accepted
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10