Author Topic: The Ameraucana HEAD  (Read 3008 times)

The Ameraucana HEAD
« on: May 06, 2009, 05:49:52 PM »
It is my opinion that the Ameraucana is the best looking bird out there when it comes to chickens. I believe the good looks start with the head. The beard and muffs along with the small pea comb make this fowl an attractive one. I know that the blue/green egg is dominant but does anybody out there have an Ameraucana/ EE mix that lays a brown or white egg?

Chicken Will

Mike Gilbert

The Ameraucana HEAD
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 06:19:25 PM »
I HAD a large fowl brown red hen that laid an almost-white egg with just a faint tinge of blue, but sold her recently at a swap meet to some folks who just wanted laying chickens.   I do think the correct head is very important to the breed, and there are many features to consider.    I look for a beak that is deep at the base and not overly long.  Then I look for some downward curve to it, especially the lower mandible.   Of course long, hooked upper mandibles are to be avoided.   I also try to select for wider heads, but that can be a tough task in some varieties of bantams.

The Ameraucana HEAD
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 06:31:07 PM »
Mike,

Do you know of any place on the internet where I can download the proper standards for Ameraucana Breeding birds?  Have you ever been really fooled by the sex of a chicken for a long time? Some of these guys/gals  I\'m sure about and there are a few others that could go either way at this point especially this one sexlink that I have.  Am I the only one sounding dumb out there? The cocks seem to hold their heads higher and have a strut about them. They also lack the pretty print in the feathers that the females have.

Chicken Will

John

The Ameraucana HEAD
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 07:52:24 PM »
the proper standards for Ameraucana Breeding birds?

Check out the Standard and information about it on from our home page.  You can go there by clicking on the ABC logo.

The Ameraucana HEAD
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 11:52:40 AM »
I have an easteregger hen that lays a brown egg.  I am interested in her because of that.  If you want some of her eggs, I would be happy to sell you some.

bantamhill

The Ameraucana HEAD
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 01:18:07 PM »
Here is the direct link:  http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html

The full standards are copyrighted by the ABA and APA. The standards are available in their print documents.

Michael