Author Topic: Showing lavenders  (Read 2961 times)

Beth C

Showing lavenders
« on: September 26, 2010, 09:02:56 AM »
In order for a color to be recognized, a certain number of people have to be breeding & showing them for a certain number of years, right? But if they aren\'t recognized, where/how do you show them? Is it only certain shows? My lavenders are growing up, and will be past 20 weeks by the state meet, but not sure I can take them.

John

Showing lavenders
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 12:05:43 PM »
do you show them?

YES! Show them for what they are, either large fowl or bantam Ameraucana lavender.  They can not place higher then Best of Variety, since they are not recognized but the more they are shown the better.  This gives the variety more exposure and that ain\'t bad. :p

Cloverleaf Farm

Showing lavenders
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 05:38:30 AM »
I\'m glad this question was asked, as I have a really amazing LF lavender cockerel from Jean that I\'ve been thinking about taking to a show here next month, my bantams won\'t be old enough yet by that show, but they will be going to a show in April for sure now!

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Showing lavenders
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 09:58:09 AM »
At our local poultry show Sept. 25, I talked with Silkie breeders who are attempting to get lavenders recognized at the APA national meet in Shawnee, OK.  They have met with the APA and ABA.  Neither association is going to accept the name lavender but insist they be called Self blue as that name is already in use in both associations.
Paul Smith

faith valley

Showing lavenders
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 04:02:58 PM »
I was just reading the Ohio National show catalog and it says in there that the Lavendar silke and the white  serama are both holding ABA qualifying meets at the show.  Ohio National has the ABA National meet.

If the silkies can get the variety \"lavendar\" approved then it will certainly be easier for us with the lavendar ameraucana.

Patty

Beth C

Showing lavenders
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 05:20:48 PM »
Quote from: faith valley
the Lavendar silke and the white  serama are both holding ABA qualifying meets at the show.

I think that\'s where I was getting confused. A qualifying meet is when they attempt to get them recognized? But it doesn\'t have to be a qualifying meet to show them, they can be shown at any show?

Quote from: Paul
Neither association is going to accept the name lavender but insist they be called Self blue as that name is already in use in both associations.

So for now, should they be shown as lavender or self-blue? Or does it matter until they are recognized? I personally don\'t like the name self-blue. I\'ve run into a number of people who don\'t understand the difference between blue & lavender as it is, and I think calling them any type of \"blue\" will add to the confusion. For what the opinion of a novice is worth! :p

John

Showing lavenders
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 06:59:17 PM »
Lavendar silke

I just read that in the show catalog they sent to me.  
If they stick to the \"lavender\" name and get it...good for them and it will be then be easy for everyone else.  If the powers that be recognize them and take it upon themselves to \"correct\" the name to self blue...it will be war.  
If you are showing lavender d\'Anvers or Old English they should be entered as \"self blue\".
If you are entering lavender Ameraucanas, Silkies, Orpingtons, etc. they should be entered as \"lavender\".
When a variety is recognized use the name given in the Standard.