Author Topic: question on pupil size and form  (Read 2887 times)

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
question on pupil size and form
« on: December 24, 2010, 12:50:05 PM »
I\'ve got a couple of questions regarding pupil size and form.

Does anyone experience pupil irregularities in their LF blacks?  By irregularity, I mean the pupil is not perfectly round.  This one looks almost like a triangle.  Is this a genetic defect that is likely to be passed on or is this the result of disease, specifically Mareks?  I read on another board that it was believed to be caused by Mareks, but I\'m not too sure.  I don\'t vaccinate, but keep a closed flock and have never experienced any Marek symptoms before.  My bird is about 7 months old now but this showed up much earlier.  He is not the only one.  I have one other that shows some slight irregularity.  I do not see any gray eye.  And they appear to see just fine and do not act ill.  I would think if I had Mareks here that some of my older birds would have displayed some symptoms over the last few years.

Also, when working on the eyes, just how large should the pupils be?  My splash chickens seem to have the best bay color and small pupils.  The blues seem to be somewhere in between.  The blacks seem to be larger on pupil size and sometimes the eye color just seems a bit more yellow than bay.  Is it the females that determine size and color in the eyes or either?  I\'m not well read in genetics, and trying to make good choices.  
The above cockeral I\'m talking about looks ok in eye color and in all other aspects.  I have two other black cockerals I am planning on keeping and want to have a third from different parentage, just in case something shows up later like gold in the hackles. So I\'m trying to decide on whether to keep him or his brother who has wing and tail issues.  Or I could go with one other cockeral who looks good in eyes and other aspects but small in size and carries his tail low.

Any ideas or advice?  Would be much appreciated.

Merry Christmas, btw.  
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Birch Run Farm

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 01:14:06 PM »
My guess would be an exposure to Marek\'s.  Even with a closed flock birds get it from wild birds.

John

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 02:08:36 PM »
Check out this topic from a few years ago...
http://ameraucana.org/abcforum/index.php?a=topic&t=651&min=0&num=15
Black LF have had eye color/shape problems since the beginning.  Just as their egg color has improved quite a bit over the past few years so has the eye color, since some of the top breeders are concentrating on these traits now.  
At the last national meet Paul Smith reminded me of a pullet I bought from him a few years ago just because she had very good eye color/shape.  Most of the blacks are descended from the stain I developed 20 some years ago.  Breeders like Paul, Jerry, Anne, etc. have made improvements and when I see a bird for sale that will benefit my flock I try to latch onto it.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 08:10:36 PM »
Thanks John.  I will check that out just as soon as I finish with Christmas.  I barely had time to post my question!  
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

eliz

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 09:52:46 AM »
Hello John, Thanks for directing us to the older eye discussion. My favorite hen came from this lady (Silver Pullet)and the eyes are dark bay but do not have the leak problem spoken about. This year i will try for offspring since til your chick batch i didn\'t have a Black Ameraucana cockeral. she spoke of her frustration of this and i think she eventually moved on to Rhode Is. Reds after trying several breeders for an unafected roo.........eliz