Author Topic: Road Trip  (Read 2870 times)

Mike Gilbert

Road Trip
« on: January 19, 2011, 07:25:37 PM »
The weather was crisp, but the skys were blue and the roads dry and cleared of slush.    So it was a beautiful day to take a little road trip (402 miles) to visit Wayne Meredith at his place near Milwaukee.   Wayne tells me I hadn\'t been there for about ten years, but it didn\'t seem that long to me.   When I drove in the yard I couldn\'t believe my eyes.   Four years ago Wayne built a veritable mansion, and I had not known about it.    When you have multiple high pillars in one room INSIDE the house you know it is no shack.  I wish I had my camera with, but left it home.   While there I picked out three blue wheaten pullets and a cockerel for a friend over in Minnesota who will pick them up at my place Saturday.   There were over 30 blue wheaten pullets to choose from.   Wayne\'s inventory right now is standing at approximately 400 large fowl Ameraucanas for breeding stock and for sale.   Besides blue wheaten, there is wheaten, splash wheaten, white, black, blue, splash, and buff.  Anyone in need of birds right now would do well to contact Wayne - he is in the Breeders Directory.  But shipping is high, especially so for large fowl.

Cloverleaf Farm

Road Trip
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 06:01:47 AM »
Thanks for the tip Mike!  I just emailed Wayne.

Birch Run Farm

Road Trip
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:02:55 AM »
Some of my birds are from his stock, they are very beautiful.

Beth C

Road Trip
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 05:06:46 PM »
Glad Wayne\'s doing well! I doubt he\'d remember me, as he sells to so many people, but he was so nice when I got eggs from him a few years back. I would love to have more of his birds. Unfortunately, that\'s an 1100 mile (each way) road trip for me. Trying to figure out the logistics of my brother-in-law, a long haul trucker, picking something up for me some time...

Mike Gilbert

Road Trip
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 06:52:42 PM »
Wayne ships eggs and chicks.

Beth C

Road Trip
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 09:17:21 AM »
I saw that he was selling chicks last season. I\'d love to get started birds, but since shipping is probably my only option, chicks might be my best bet. Leary of eggs - USPS seemed to have it in for me last year. 2/3 of the eggs I bought arrived w/shattered air cells. Not detached, shattered. Looked like a bottle of soda when I candled them. Didn\'t realize loading docks were equipped w/centrifuges...