Author Topic: Breeding for Egg Color  (Read 3091 times)

Breeding for Egg Color
« on: December 13, 2005, 09:14:37 AM »
Hello, I\'m looking for information/advice on breeding Large Fowl Ameraucanas for a more saturated blue egg color.  I\'m a new member interested in starting a flock this Spring.  I\'m also looking for breeding stock to start off with, preferably from someone who has birds laying eggs that are blue-er than average.  I hope there aren\'t any English teachers out there!

John

Breeding for Egg Color
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 05:13:19 PM »
A good place to read about egg color genes is http://marsa_sellers.tripod.com/geneticspages/page2.html#t8.
Over the years I\'ve heard people talk about Robin Egg blue chicken eggs, but have never seen one in my decades of breeding blue egg laying chickens.
Some eggs may be darker than others due to the presence of the brown egg gene, but that makes the eggs more green or blue/green not darker blue.  The difficult task is to breed out any genes for white and brown eggs.  Then if you can breed for some unknown modifying gene that would just darken the blue pigment, without adding brown, you would be on the right track.
Here is a quote from the website mentioned above.  
There certainly must be a number of brown eggshell genes and once you have them, it is difficult to breed them out completely.

Breeding for Egg Color
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 10:42:12 AM »
My splashes seem to have the most saturated color egg. Do othter of you find this to be true?