Author Topic: Ameraucanas of American Origin  (Read 2650 times)

Korfus Kluckers

Ameraucanas of American Origin
« on: March 03, 2011, 02:08:24 PM »
So why are they in AOSB? Doesn\'t make any sense. So, as I read through my standard the more confused I get. For example and I am sure there are more, Javas are in the American class but their origins are from the far east and it gets its name from the Island of Java (Asia area) when looking at maps. So technically shouldn\'t they be in the Asiatic class? I know it says they made considerable changes to the fowl once here? Does not really change where the breed was developed originally and what breed it is. The American Orpingtons were bred for more utility purposes still look similar to the English birds just less fluff and longer backs and less of a tail angle that is why they look different from their England counterparts but they are still in the English class, they are still Orpingtons. . So, from what the history says of the Ameraucanas, breeders bred them from Araucanas but they were still developed in America. Breeders made them into a breed not just a spin off from Araucanas in my opinion. Just dont understand why they could not be in the American class? What do you all think?

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 02:43:30 PM »
Christina, we had this discussion (very briefly) in 1984, but at the time we were just delighted the APA had accepted our bantam standard for large fowl at all, especially since there had been no qualifying meet for the large fowl.  They did it to end the controversy that had been going on since the APA imposed the Araucana standard without qualifying birds in 1976.
The more I look at the APA and the way things have evolved the more I think it would be better to scrap the whole thing and start over with a new organization.  The powers that be are very resistant to change.

Korfus Kluckers

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 02:48:02 PM »
Mike I do agree with you. I think they need a whole revision of their Organization. I could not read in 1984 I was only three  :D