Author Topic: USPS PROPOSES ADDITIONAL HANDLING CHARGES FOR SHIPPING LIVES  (Read 7039 times)

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com

Special Action Requested

Would you please help us say "NO" to the United States Post Office's plan to raise shipping rates on the poultry you order?

Dear Valued Murray McMurray Hatchery Customer,

It has come to our attention the Post Office is requesting a change to the shipment of poultry through the mail. The following link is a copy of the proposal in PDF form or You can read the proposal on-line at the Federal Register: https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/04/24/2013-09603/new-mailing-standards-for-live-animals-and-special-handling

They are asking that a Special Handle Fee be charged on every Live Animal Shipment. This proposal would increase the postage amount by $9.00 to $11.95 per box.

The proposal outlines the new fees to be charged but it does not include any new rules to insure us that service would also improve. Nor does it offer how additional funds would address their concerns about; Protection of Postal Service employees, mail and the environment, or animals against death.

Please read the proposed changes and send your comments to the US Post Office. We have included a link to a sample letter (in MS Word) for your use. (Sample Letter Link)

Make your voice heard, do it today. The comment period ends next week May 24. Thank you for your continued support.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Letters and e-mails must be submitted on or before May 24, 2013, by sending to the below address or Emailed to ProductClassification@usps.gov, with a subject line of "Live Animals".

The Manager, Product Classification
 U.S. Postal Service
 475 L'Enfant Plaza SW, Room 4446
 Washington, DC 20260-5015

RE:  39 CFR Part 111 New Mailing Standards for Live Animals and Special Handling

Jean

John

Re: USPS PROPOSES ADDITIONAL HANDLING CHARGES FOR SHIPPING LIVES
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 08:24:33 PM »
Just a note that Jean's post, above, is pasted from an email sent out by McMurray Hatchery.
Mike passed the email on to me earlier today.  As I understand it for an extra $9 to $11.95 you can buy the Special Handling for the Lives you send, but the new rule would require that you purchase it.  I understand the USPS is in debt, but they should first cut out all the waste and come up with a more modest increase if it is really needed.  Can you say Privatization and Competition?
I already pay an extra $1 per pound surcharge for Lives that is supposed to go to the airlines...I assume for special handling.  I would have to add about an extra .50 to the price of each chick to pay for the proposed mandatory increase, since shipping is included in the price per chick.
There are a couple/few positive changes in the proposal, but I prefer options as opposed to mandatory and the pluses don't seem to worth the increase.     

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:09:58 PM »
FYI John, I found this yesterday.  Are they charging you the .20 per pound or the $1.00 per pound???

Air Transportation Surcharge for Live Animals

Effective August 28, 2010, the only live animal surcharge in effect is the $0.20 per pound (or fraction thereof) for day-old poultry transported by air. This surcharge applies to Express Mail® and Priority Mail® day-old poultry shipments accepted nationwide.

The $1.00 per pound Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (MSP) and Detroit, MI (DTW) surcharges are no longer in effect.

— Commercial Air Operations,
Network Operations, 8-12-10

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2010/pb22291/html/info_002.htm
Jean

John

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 09:48:37 AM »
$1.00 per pound ???
That is normally an extra $3 for a box of 25 chicks.
I'll check into the .20/pound and see what they say.

Thanks,

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 10:19:25 AM »
If you have receipts, you may be due a substantial refund!!!!
Jean

Beth C

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 08:00:32 AM »
So let me get this straight: we now have to pay more money for birds to be in-transit longer (changes from last year) and if they kill our (adult/started) birds in the process too bad, not their problem. Gee, can't imagine why this business is failing...  ::)

Some years back I purchased a parrot from TX and had her flown up here. She was sent from the airport same as a dog or cat would be. Not sure if that can be done with poultry, but my neighbor has done it with a number of goats, so it's not just for companion animals. And it's not like poultry shipped through USPS aren't on the planes anyway. It wouldn't be cost effective for a single bird but might be for multiple birds shipped in the same crate. Has anyone looked into this?

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 12:22:31 PM »
This is why you need to send them a comment to the link provided.

I suggested to them that they need to let all people pick up birds at sort facilities.  This would save them money should they end up having to transport one live bird to a remote location.  I also suggested that they upgrade their tracking system.

One other note I made was about the 25 lb limit.  Was this per bird? Bird and box?  And what if there was more than one bird in the box?  It needs to be clarified.

According to the USPS pricing information on Express Mail Service, they offer service for packages up to 70 lbs.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:31:16 PM by Jean »
Jean

John

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 08:54:16 PM »
Jean,
I talked to my Postmaster yesterday and she said to bring in the receipts (that I can find) for refunds.  They generally reply on me for updates on shipping Lives, so neither of us was aware of that change.  I do remember the .20 for all others, but hadn't read about eliminating the $1 for Detroit/Minneapolis.

The 25 pounds is per bird.  I don’t think there is a weight limit now, because the types of birds that can be mailed don’t weigh that much.  I assume this limit is so that young Emus and other large species can be shipped in the mail if the proposal goes thru.  Currently only the listed species can be mail.  The proposal would allow for “any” bird.  This may be something that fanciers of those birds have been lobbying for.

I believe that Lives get "special" handling without having to pay extra now.  I know that the people at my local post office give my birds special attention.  Just knowing there are live animals in a box, as opposed to "normal" mail, is reason for normal people to give TLC to the package.  If we have to pay extra for postal and airline employees to do what comes natural will we finally start getting reimbursed for our loses when something goes wrong in transit? 

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 10:33:40 AM »
John,

The express mail lives should have always gotten special handling.  The way the special handling fee reads, it was for day old chicks only, not for adult fowl.

The reason I asked about the 25 lb weight limit is because sometimes I ship two geese in one swan box and it can push 30 lbs.

Jean

Tailfeathers

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 06:08:51 AM »
Can you say Privatization and Competition?

Ditto. 2x!

God Bless,

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 03:40:32 PM »
I sent my objection letter to them.
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)