Author Topic: buying eggs for hatching  (Read 2934 times)

buying eggs for hatching
« on: February 27, 2006, 11:35:06 PM »
Later this spring if and hopefully one of my bantam cochins will get broody. It would be great if she would do the work and raise a clutch for me. Do some of you sell eggs that I could place under a brooder? If so how does it work? How do they ship? How much and how long does it take? Is there anything else I should know about this?

Dustin

grisaboy

buying eggs for hatching
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 10:48:33 AM »
Hi Dustin,
I have mixed success buying and selling hatching eggs.
The best route with hatching eggs is to find some one close enough to you that you can drive to and pick them up.  If you have to have them shipped, ask that they be shipped ground.  You may lose a day or two in shipment, but the eggs survive better.  I think the eggs lose viability when they are shipped by Air.  Maybe the pressure change messes them up, I\'m not sure.
When I have received hatching eggs via Air Mail, I have only had about a 10% or less hatch rate.  The hatch rate is better when they are sent via ground shipment.  Better yet is to get a rooster and a couple of hens and raise your own.  In the long run, the cost would be close to the same.

Curtis

bantamhill

buying eggs for hatching
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 08:31:12 PM »
The Ameraucana Breeders Club sells a breeders list for a small amount as a fundraiser. The list has contact information for breeders who sell hatching eggs, chicks, started birds, and adult birds.

The club membership form at this link has information regarding how to purchase a breeder\'s directory.

http://www.ameraucana.org/DnLd/MembershipForm.PDF

Michael