Author Topic: breeding question  (Read 2519 times)

breeding question
« on: January 04, 2007, 08:50:24 AM »
I had two trios of bantams that I was going to work with...

The first was a trio of Wheaten Ameraucanas.

The second was a trio...one black rooster, a blue hen and a black.

Unfortunately, the Wheaten rooster died this winter.  What would I get if i breed the black rooster with my Wheaten hens?

Anyone around have a nice Wheaten rooster available?  I\'m in MA.

Karen

John

breeding question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 05:50:41 PM »
What would I get if i breed the black rooster with my Wheaten hens?

Trouble.  That\'s spelled with a \"T\" and...oh never mind.
I would keep trying for a wheaten, blue wheaten or splash wheaten male to go with the wheaten females and avoid crossing the blacks/blues with wheatens.  They have quite different color and pattern genes.  That is not to say it can\'t be done.  You could be back to producing pure black birds after a few generations of selective breeding.
I know that Mike Gilbert crossed blue with wheaten, years ago, to develop blue wheaten.  

Mike Gilbert

breeding question
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 08:42:50 PM »
That is true, John, I did cross straight blue with wheaten to make the blue-wheatens.   But it took a number of years crossing the offspring back to straight wheaten before any good ones (color wise)  were produced.    I don\'t recommend it unless someone doesn\'t mind dealing with huge numbers of color culls.  

breeding question
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 09:41:43 AM »
Thanks gentlemen!!

Not the answer that I wanted to hear, but the one that I needed to know...so, now I need to search for a Wheaten rooster.  Maybe I\'ll get lucky at Northeastern Poultry Congress next weekend.

Otherwise, who would you recommend getting some eggs from?

Karen

John

breeding question
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 10:11:32 AM »
who would you recommend getting some eggs from?

Check with Michael Muenks http://Bantamhill.com and also the Breeders Directory that can be accessed thru the FAQ page of our website.