Author Topic: Ameraucana rooster question  (Read 8523 times)

Ameraucana rooster question
« on: July 10, 2007, 03:26:50 PM »
I bought two 8 week old ameraucanas several weeks ago (first time owner of ameraucanas) They were supposed to be pullets, but one turned out to be a cockeral (I figured that as the cockeral had a darker and larger comb at 8 weeks).  Any how, how are the temperaments of the ameraucana roosters?  I am hoping this cockeral will not become a mean flogging roo (or I will take him to the auction).  He is getting huge and has just started crowing.  It is a deep, long crow!  

As to the coloring, they are supposed to be buff.  The pullet\'s legs are too light, but the cockeral\'s legs are the correct color (as far as I gather from reading).  

8 week old picture of cockeral

Last week\'s pic of cockeral (dark one on left):

I can\'t wait for the pullet to start laying as she was hatched from blue eggs!  

John

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 08:10:39 AM »
how are the temperaments

The LF buffs are generally very easy going and not agressive or wild.
The color should be solid buff though, without any black.

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 08:29:40 AM »
OH good because he is getting HUGE.  I have a feeling he is going to get bigger than my araucana/ee cross rooster.  I don\'t need another flogger as I already have an araucana/easter egger cross roo that started flogging at about a year old.  Anything that flogs goes to the auction!

Thanks for letting me know that the buffs need to be all buff with no other colors!  I bought this pair hoping to get some blue eggs from the pullet!  :D

BTW, I\'d like to have blue ameraucanas some day!