Author Topic: Silver Blue roo for sale  (Read 2400 times)

Silver Blue roo for sale
« on: August 18, 2007, 06:41:22 PM »
This big, lovable roo named \"Steel\" is out of my Silver blue/Birchen Flock. His Dad is a very nice Birchen but Steel himself doesn\'t have quite enough white in his hackles and chest to be a permanent resident in my breeding flock.
I have a few chicks from him now so I would like to reduce my flock back down to one roo.

Steel is 2 yrs old, super easy to handle and does not have a single bad bone in his body! He is very nice to the hens as well. (pictured here as a Yearling)

Asking $10 CND

Email

Mike Gilbert

Silver Blue roo for sale
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 07:54:08 AM »
Nice looking bird with good substance.   I like to see a little more and a little higher tail, possibly a wider base to the comb as well.   He would be a good place to start for someone wanting to work with the birchen color pattern, though he does, as you said, lack lacing on the upper chest.   Having said that, and having made the same mistake a number of times, I would caution you against reducing to just one breeding male.    With chickens anything can happen - disease, accidental poisoning, predators, going infertile - and when if you lose that one male you could be out of business in that variety.  

Silver Blue roo for sale
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 07:01:54 PM »
In that pic he just around a year old and was coming out of a molt.
Here is a pic of him from The Spring.

This is his Father.

I am just reducing right now cause I got a few young ones from him and one of his blue sons shows a nicer pattern then his daddy has, eventhough he is only 2.5 months old.
I also have a nice light blue son out of him which is also around 2 months old which looks promising as well.