Author Topic: do help please  (Read 2419 times)

do help please
« on: August 21, 2007, 01:29:19 PM »
My Ameraucana Named Owl Is A... I Dont Know. please help, here are some pics of her she is about 5 months old and im wanting to know if she is a she and what kind of ameraucana she is.

2007-08-21

Mike Gilbert

do help please
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 02:26:21 PM »
She is not a standard recognized variety, but is a true breeding variety nonetheless.   She is the gold version of our standard-recognized Silvers.   Depending on the male version of her color she could be a \"black breasted red\" or a \"light brown.\"   BBRed males have clear hackles, while light brown males have hackle striping, as do our silvers.    Not a bad looking specimen.  If you acquired a good silver male and crossed it with her, all the pullets would be pure silvers, all the males would be mixed (impure).   That is because the dominant S gene(silvers) and its\' counterpart (allele) small s are carried on the sex link chromosome.   In birds, males get the extra gene-carrying chromosome, and that is why males can be mixed while females must be pure for all sex linked traits.   Another example would be the gene that produces dermal melanin, another the type of barring found in Plymouth Rocks.

do help please
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 09:27:57 PM »
Thank you so much, Mike.  Now, to find a good silver male.   Can anyone help me with that?  I went to two local 4-H fairs and no one knew of anybody in this area that would have any that they would part with.  Any suggestions?

Mike Gilbert

do help please
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:43:08 PM »
Not sure where you are located, but try John Blehm or Michael Muenks.   Their contact info is found on this website.
Go to the home page, click on the link for officers/directors.  

do help please
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 10:20:59 AM »
Ok, well I live in  Connecticut. I dont really care where I can get one I just can\'t go to far to get it, so if someone would ship one to me I would gladly take/buy one. Thank you again Mike Ill try John and Michael when I got time. :P