Author Topic: Questions about Red Pyle breast color & photos of Ameraucana chick.  (Read 13915 times)

verycherry

The female red pyle should have a salmon breast, but the male OEG has a white breast, but is this only when the adult plumage comes in? and is this any different in the Ameraucana?  

Where a male BBR would develop a black breast with maturity, the dominant white would make the breast white on a Red Pyle.......right?  I know I\'ve seen photos of males without a solid white breast.  Just immature plummage or a difference in the breeds?

Be back with some pictures of a young chick in a second.  I can\'t even recall his hatch date at the moment, but around 4 weeks old.  

verycherry

Questions about Red Pyle breast color & photos of Ameraucana chick.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 04:06:41 PM »

You should be able to click to enlarge the photos.

I\'ll can get a close up too.

I hope he\'s a male.  I have females.

Oh, and he did have a beard and muffs at hatch.

verycherry

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 04:10:34 PM »

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 10:16:56 AM »
I never raised pyle, and don\'t intend to.   But based on the chick\'s current color on the breast one would guess it is a pullet.  I suppose color could change when/if male hormones kick in.

verycherry

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 10:29:29 AM »
based on the chick\'s current color on the breast one would guess it is a pullet. I suppose color could change when/if male hormones kick in

I agree that the breast color would make you think female, but if I\'m remembering correctly, my Wheaten male didn\'t get his black breast until his male hormones kicked in.  I\'m hoping this is just what the male juvenile plumage looks like.  The obvious females from this hatching are already feathered out and the combs are a bit smaller.  

Maybe I should try and locate a OEG forum and lurk around to find out more about this color.  I don\'t know of that many other breeds that have this color, except in the developmental stages.

Sorry I broke the board with that link to the chicken calculator.  I\'ll just delete it.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 09:43:22 PM »
I\'m thinking my male Wheaten cockerel started betting black in his breast between 5-6 weeks, but it may have been a little earlier.
Best wishes as you watch your chick\'s color develop. He has a dear little face   :p

verycherry

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 03:01:13 AM »
Thank you.  I just hatched 3 more chicks today out of this breeding, and two have yellow down, and the other has a wild type pattern, so hopefully I\'ll have a keeper in this batch too.

verycherry

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 11:08:53 AM »
I know most of you aren\'t interested in the Red Pyle color in Ameraucana, but in case anyone here is, surely there\'s somebody, lol, I wanted to update this thread.

The chick pictured above is feathering in nicely, and is looking more like he should.  I\'m hopeful.  I think his leg color and beak color look good.  Looking more male too.

Here are the 3 chicks I just hatched this weekend.  I took the pictures shortly after hatch.  They\'re about 4 days old now.

This one looks very promising, and looks just like the older chick above looked at hatch.  So far no bluish tone to the legs yet, but time will tell.

This one looks reeeally light, so I\'m wondering if I might have a dominant white bird here.  I HOPE it feathers in Red Pyle, but I should still be able to use it if it\'s DW.  Leg color has a slight blue cast already so that\'s good.  Really pretty chick anyway!

This one, hmmm...  Definately NOT Red Pyle.  Is it BBR? ...or just another chipmunk striped EE.  It could be that I didn\'t wait long enough before I put the male with her mama, so it\'s even possible that this one might have the wrong daddy!  I know I waited at least two weeks.  I\'ll hang on to her and see how she turns out.

I just put the rooster with the girls again yesterday and will again several more times over the next few days, so I\'ll have more eggs to try again soon.  I\'ll definately hatch more than 3 this time.  I also put my BBR EE hen in the pen this time.  Wish me luck!

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 03:08:09 PM »
Bill Wulff, editor of the Poultry Press, raises the red pyle color in L.F. Moderns and O.E. Bantams.   Why don\'t you send him an e-mail with pictures for advice?     I can\'t help, and don\'t see anyone else jumping in with advice either.

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 01:06:29 PM »
Red in the breast on a Pyle male  is a common defect 80% of males carry it.  The other big defect in them is black ticking on the white areas. They are definately not a color variety that you only have to raise a few of to get well colored birds, and they must be double mated to produce quality birds in both sexes. BB Reds will come out of them frm time to time they are useful in holding the color on the males as they tend to wash out to a yellow color rather than the correct orange. Hope this helped, Chris

verycherry

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 01:46:56 PM »
Red in the breast on a Pyle male is a common defect 80% of males carry it. The other big defect in them is black ticking on the white areas. They are definately not a color variety that you only have to raise a few of to get well colored birds, and they must be double mated to produce quality birds in both sexes.

Thank you!  That helps a great deal.  I\'ve also received two letters from members by email explaining a few things.  Thank you all!  

This was a test hatch.  I\'m hatching more this weekend, 11 eggs, and just set 15 more eggs last night, as well as a 4 (or 5) eggs from my BBR female.  

After this male above, or another male, matures I\'ll be able to do some double matings.  I\'m looking forward to that.

BB Reds will come out of them from time to time they are useful in holding the color on the males as they tend to wash out to a yellow color rather than the correct orange.

Ok, I understand.  It\'s the same way with the Golden Neck d\'Uccles.  You can take them back to the Mille Fleurs to deepen the background color back to where it should be.  It\'s the dominant white that washes it out over time, so I\'m assuming it\'s the dominant white that washes the orange out in this case too.  THANK YOU!

I do have a question about a RP hen I have if you\'re still around.  She has a blue tinge to the white feathering.  I think I read that this could be caused from the bird having the BLUE gene, which affects the dominant white, and cause some of the color to bleed though....not sure if I\'m using the correct lingo.  In other words, the blue isn\'t completely blocked by the DW as the black would be.  If I have this right, then am I correct in assuming that she\'ll only pass this blue gene to 50% of her offspring, like a Blue/Black/Splash bird.

........or should I cull her?  She can definately go into the EE pen if this will be a big problem in the long run.

Johnny Parks

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 03:07:06 PM »
verycherry, I don\'t have any answers about the BLUE gene and I hope someone with more genetic experience dives in here with answers for you.  
I just wanted to share with you that you\'re not working alone with the Red Pyle project.  I\'m involved with a developmental bantam project for producing Red Pyle Ameraucana/Black Breasted Red Ameraucana.  I\'m hoping that next season (2010) will produce birds with better results.
This F2 project hen was produced from parent birds that were (White Ameraucana X Red Pyle Old English) X (Wheaten Ameraucana X Red Pyle Old English).  She is bearded, muffed, and lays blue eggs.  She has white legs and Red Pyle coloring.

I crossed the above mix\'d Red Pyle/Ameraucana project hen with a pure LF Silver Ameraucana rooster.  The Silver Ameraucana rooster is the father of the chicks in the photo.

I\'ve also made crosses using a mix\'d Red Pyle/Ameraucana project rooster X pure Silver Ameraucana bantam hens.  I have about 50 project chicks hatched this season 09.  As the above posts refrence, I am finding that some of the chicks are showing potential to feather in as BBRed also.

verycherry

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 09:56:42 AM »
Thank you for posting the photos Johnny.  Your hen is beautiful.  Do her chicks have pea combs?  Since I\'m using only birds with pea combs, I was wondering how many generations it would take to get pea combs and slate legs if I decide to add some crosses like yours to my project.

That Silver cock is gorgeous by the way!  If I only had more room, I\'d love to have some Silver birds too, but I\'m already needing to build another grow out pen for some Black/Lavender split chicks.  I have 3 acres, but I really didn\'t plan to fill the whole plot with pens, lol!

I\'d love to see more photos of your chicks as they mature.

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 12:14:16 PM »
I\'ve never tried to use anything that carried a blue gene in a white breeding I couldn\'t begin to tell you how it will carry on. Use toe punches and keep good records. Document  every thing you do so you\'ll know where you went wrong or did something right. Single matings might be useful in the project since more than one female in a pen may throw something entirly different from another and you wouldn\'t know where it came from. Chris

verycherry

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 01:49:08 PM »
The female is identical to the other two females in every way, except that she has this faint blue cast in the white.  I thought I\'d try her and see what she produces.  If I\'m correct and she passes the blue to only 50% of her chicks, then the 50% of the chicks without the blue shouldn\'t carry it, and I should be safe to use those in my project.  Either way, she\'s now in the EE pen.  If I hatch more eggs later in the year, I\'ll only take them from the other two hens, my BBR and dominant white birds.  

I\'ve been marking as many eggs as I can with the hens names, if I catch one in the nest box.  One of them lays a pretty bluish-teal colored egg with a more matte finish, so those are easy to spot. Some of the others are too close to call.  Now if I could just manage to be there when the labeled eggs hatch, I\'d know who throws what!