Author Topic: Which one?  (Read 3147 times)

Which one?
« on: July 14, 2009, 02:29:01 PM »
I have way to many cockerals to keep.  These are my last two Split Lavender Cockerals.  They are 13 weeks old and both have fine qualities.

(words link to photos)
Cockeral A:  Comb is more \"roundish\", Large muffs and beard, slow tail gene, great coloration

Cockeral B: comb more streamline, muffs and beard not quite as big as A\'s, fast tail growth, two feathers have a \"bar\" of brass on them

Who do you think I should keep?

Mike Gilbert

Which one?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 06:39:35 PM »
Both are nice birds, I would encourage you to keep both in case something happens to one of them.    The brass bar on number two is probably due to feather follicle damage while the feathers were developing.   I do like the way the first one holds his tail higher, but that could be just the way they both happened to be standing at the time.   Do they both have the required reddish bay eye, or is one or both dark brown?

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Which one?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 08:41:45 PM »
I agree with Mike.  I would keep them both if that is all you have.  I personally would only use A for breeding and keep B as a spare till you get something better from the young ones.  I personally don\'t like to use any male with red or gold in their black plumage for breeding blacks.  
Harry Shaffer

bantamhill

Which one?
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 11:13:34 AM »
I have to agree with Mike and Harold . . . I have been disappointed too many times when I have lost the single cock or cockerel I had. I have started keeping three to use if at all possible.

Michael

Which one?
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 01:27:10 AM »
I like B better.  The beard looks nicer and A\'s tail is too high of an angle for me.

verycherry

Which one?
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 12:54:36 PM »
I like them both, but A has more of a proud stance if that makes sense.  I like the angle of his tail, and don\'t think it looks too high.  

I\'ve had males that got their tail slower before and I actually like that.  Helps me spot the males sooner.  Those darn fast growing ones have fooled me into thinking they might be females.

I\'d definately keep them both.  I have three splits from my last hatch, and I\'ll keep at least 2 of them.  If you can keep two pens, that will give you at least a little more genetic diversity.  I don\'t think you\'d have any trouble finding one a new home down the line after you see what kind of chicks they each produce....or until you get that perfect Lavender male!