Author Topic: White e-allele  (Read 2390 times)

QUADCH

White e-allele
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:40:08 PM »
Hi,
Can someone tell me what e-allele are most white Ameraucanas based on?
Thanks

John

White e-allele
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 03:29:23 AM »
It is assumed that white Ameraucanas are recessive white (although dominant white also appears) and all of the strains I know of are based on \"E\" (extended), the same as blacks, lavenders, blues and splashes.

QUADCH

White e-allele
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 08:22:51 AM »
Thanks John, I\'m trying to breed the brassiness out or my whites, so that is good news. I believe I have both recessive and dominate white in my flock, but its much speculation at this point. I\'ll be doing the first variety cross this fall.

Mike Gilbert

White e-allele
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 12:23:07 PM »
There are other genes that help to make a \"whiter white.\"
Sex linked silver (S) and blue (Bl) come to mind, and  there are others I don\'t recall at the moment.   Elimination of autosomal red (Ar) would also be helpful.   If I were to start out to make a new strain of recessive whites, I would start by crossing to a blue that is based on E that showed white in the hackles.     I have such a bantam cockerel right now in case anyone is interested before he is culled.

QUADCH

White e-allele
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 04:40:03 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert

If I were to start out to make a new strain of recessive whites, I would start by crossing to a blue that is based on E that showed white in the hackles.     I have such a bantam cockerel right now in case anyone is interested before he is culled.

Great minds Mike :D That\'s just what I was thinking of doing. I\'m working with LF though, otherwise I would want that cockerel!