Author Topic: Trying a different approach for now...  (Read 5161 times)

Trying a different approach for now...
« on: August 14, 2009, 07:45:08 PM »
Hi everyone.  A while back, I posted looking for bantam wheatens, and then standard wheatens.  BUT, I have since developed a strong love for deep reds in chickens in general.  I\'m not talking about brown or buff, but the red that shimmers in the sunlight and LOOKS red.  I\'m not very well versed in color genetics, and my attempt at learning more has led me to learn that the mahogany gene (in general) is a main genetic marker for the red I\'m talking about.  There are others, granted, but they haven\'t been specified yet, that I know of.  I don\'t know if this type of red exists in Ameraucanas.  If so, can anyone help???  I\'m looking for a rooster and a hen.  Fall is approaching, and I\'m desperately hoping to secure a few more birds that will mature before the cold sets in.      

I realize that I\'m barking up another rare tree, but as you can tell, I don\'t like going down well-beaten paths....I tend to like to make my own!  :)  Please feel free to email me!

Bearpaw

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 03:21:32 PM »
Hi,
I don\'t know why but several people have inquired recently about the mahogany Ameraucanas. Yes there are people working on them. I purchased a pair from a man here in Arizona myself as I am working on them also. It is a color that many people like. I just saw your post today. E-Mail me at chstrthmpsn@yahoo.com
bearpaw

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 10:57:55 AM »
I have wondered if I should have used brick red or mahogany colored Americanas when I started developing the Blue Laced Reds.  I had blues and blacks, so that\'s what I used.  I still have a lot of orangey red in my hens, especially.

I would be very interested in getting a few mahogany Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers to try.

This red is the dark red like a Rhode Island Red or a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte should be, correct?
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

John

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 06:12:41 PM »
mahogany Ameraucanas

Any photos?

Johnny Parks

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 11:02:45 PM »
Must be the Black Tailed Reds that Jim developed that they are speaking of.....???

verycherry

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 02:15:32 PM »
If you could show a photo of a bird of a different breed that would be great.....or post a link to a photo.  

I just always think of mahogany as a deep red, almost brownish or burgandy, like my Rhode Island Red hens, not like \"the red that shimmers in the sunlight and LOOKS red\" as you described it.

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 03:23:36 PM »
Here is a RIR from Feathersite that is dark red and looks \"shimmery\" in the sun.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

cedarpondfarm

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 04:05:30 PM »
I would guess a mahogany AM would be overall darker than a blue laced red AM.  ??  
Would they both have a black tail with green sheen like this picture?    

just curious as to what your vision is for these two varieties.

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 04:36:08 PM »
You can see a few more RIRs on Feathersite that shimmer without green tails, but the files are too large to copy here.

The blue laced red wyandottes call for a brick red.  The wyandottes I bought to make BLR Am. were as dark red as the RIR I attached here.  My early generations have very few with red this deep and often the hackles are lighter.

I\'m only guessing at which color the folks working on the mahogany are talking about.  I\'m just saying the deep rich red can shimmer.  

Also, here is a link to a BLR Wyandotte breeder who crossed in RIRs, I assume to get the better dark brick color.
http://community-1.webtv.net/hotwalker05/Christineschickens/page3.html
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 04:47:07 PM »
Here is an exerpt from the BLR Wyandotte working standard, \"...web of each feather, rich mahogany bay...\"

My investigation concludes that the first posters are most likely indeed talking about the deep, dark red of RIRs and BLR Wyandottes.

Lyne Peterson
Northern California

verycherry

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 10:56:50 AM »
Quote from: bryngyld
I\'m only guessing at which color the folks working on the mahogany are talking about.  I\'m just saying the deep rich red can shimmer.

When I quoted her I was mainly referring to the last part of her sentence... \"the red that shimmers in the sunlight and LOOKS red\"

I know the darker red can shimmer too.  It\'s just that \"LOOKS red\" makes me think she means a brighter red than a RIR.

Thanks for posting the pic.  If the OP comes back they\'ll have something to compare to what they\'re trying to explain.

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 11:11:49 AM »
\"Mahogany (in general)\" is probably a different acting gene in different species.  My Oberhasli goats are described as mahogany bay.  It is an agouti gene on a black goat, but the correctly colored ones have a reddish cast to the coat.  In the photo the goat in th foreground is NOT mahogany bay but the back end of the one in front is close - maybe a little light.

The RIRs in the shows are almost black, the red is so dark.  We definitely need a better description or some photos to know what the posters were specifically talking about.  I\'d love to see what people are working on.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California