Author Topic: Questions about the Ameraucana back and stern.  (Read 2618 times)

verycherry

Questions about the Ameraucana back and stern.
« on: November 20, 2009, 02:45:03 PM »
I have 2 cockerels I\'m looking at, deciding which is the best overall.  I\'m keeping and using both, so it\'s not really a huge deal, but I just keep worndering about it since there is a definate difference in the backs of the two.

One has a flatter back, pretty much level in fact, but it might actually be a little bit on the short side...but not anything that stands out as short I don\'t think, and he\'s still filling out.  The other has a noticable incline from shoulder to tail, nothing unusual  or odd though.  He\'s a little lankier overall, and also still filling out.

Is this even something to consider in the Ameraucana breed, or is it pretty insignificant?  The back (incline and shape/width) is mentioned in the Marans standard, and may also be in other breeds, but I couldn\'t find anything about it in the Ameraucana standard.  

There are other things about these two that are different, so I wouldn\'t pick one over the other on the back issue alone, but I\'m trying to weigh everything.

And what exactly is meant by a \"well tucked up\" stern?  I want to be sure I\'m understanding this in the way that it\'s meant.

Thanks!
Sherry

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 04:57:12 PM »
Look at the standard again.   Under the description for the back of both sexes, it says \"slightly elevated at the shoulders.\"  That means correct Ameraucanas should stand slightly higher in front, with a gentle slope to the rear end.   The transition from back to tail should not be abrupt, but more gradual with no fluff showing at the base of the tail.   Speaking of the tail, it is to be carried about 40 to 45 degrees above horizontal.   That is an area that is sadly lacking in many of the birds being shown today, especially the large fowl.   If you look at the pics that Matt Lhamon picked as best at the recent national meet, you will see the top large fowl and top two bantams have pretty good tail carriage.   Rick Straight showed some large fowl black males that were good. I thought Matt did a real good job as judge.  Another fault, especially in large fowl but sometimes in bantams too, is dark brown/black eye color.   The eye is to be bay, not dark brown or black.  
A well tucked up stern means the fluff is not too long and is not hanging way down.  It looks wierd.   I have that problem in some of my brown red large fowl and am trying to breed away from it.

Blue Egg Acres

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 07:35:09 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
with no fluff showing at the base of the tail.

Is this something that can actually be bred out of a line? If so, how do you go about it (other than the obvious answer of selecting breeders with the least amount of it)?

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 07:44:48 PM »
Selection plus compensation mating - over time.

verycherry

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 11:33:17 PM »
Thanks Mike.  I was looking at the standard on the ABC site, but I just looked again for the information you mention above wondering how I could have missed it, and see that it states at the top that it\'s not the complete standard.

Unfortunately my copy of the SOP is from 1974!

I\'ve seen quite a few Ameraucanas with what I believe is too much of a slope to the back.  Thanks for letting me know what the standard says.

I knew about the tail angle (squirrel tail is a common problem in Marans, as well as too dark of an eye), but I didn\'t know about the tail fluff.  I\'d have never guessed that was a fault.