Author Topic: wheaten male with mostly white muffs and beard  (Read 2271 times)

Blue Egg Acres

wheaten male with mostly white muffs and beard
« on: March 10, 2010, 06:36:41 PM »
I have a  large fowl wheaten male that at the age of 10 1/2 months still has a mostly white muffs/beard. I hatched him from eggs shipped in by a well respected breeder but I\'m not familiar with his strain of wheatens. It seems to me that he should have completely black muffs/beard by now.  My qustion is this:  If they don\'t change, what can I expect the results to be in his offspring?  I really need him in a breed pen but don\'t want to introduce this if it\'s going to cause major issues in future generations.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 08:37:52 PM »
Barbara, this is not something you want, but if you have to use him try to limit it to one generation.   You definitely don\'t want to breed him more than one season.

Blue Egg Acres

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:14:53 AM »
So, why is it acceptable to use him for one season?  Will this trait not be established and then have to be eliminated?
My plan was to use him over a couple of nice hens to start a new line for new blood.  Turns out one of my other two males fertility rate is very low - only about 1 in every 10 - 12 eggs is fertile. The 2nd one is possibly a 1/2 brother to the hens I\'m needing a male for.  Am i better off to use the 1/2 brother than the guy with the white musffs/beard?

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 12:47:25 PM »
We have to be careful about developing \"tunnel vision\" as there are so many aspects to consider in setting up any matings.    Obviously you saved him as a breeder for some reason(s), but I don\'t know what those are.  Only half the genetics in his offspring will come from this bird, the other half coming from his mates, but if you breed him back to his daughters you will be setting the undesireable muff color in that generation.