Author Topic: Diagnosis Help Please!  (Read 3220 times)

Blue Egg Acres

Diagnosis Help Please!
« on: November 02, 2005, 06:55:41 PM »
I have a 3 year old cock with a wet vent area with a very repulsive odor. The odor reminds of what I\'ve noticed in hens with prolapse. Does anyone know what\'s going on here? I\'d like to save this guy if possible - he has sired some very nice birds!
Thanks!
Barbara

Mike Gilbert

Diagnosis Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 07:11:18 PM »
My guess is he got into some spoiled feed and has something going on in his intestines.    I read recently somewhere, can\'t remember where, that it helps to take them off feed for 3 - 4 days, and give them water sweetened with molasses.     I have no firsthand experience with actually using that treatment however.   Sorry I can\'t be of more help.

By the way, both Don and Bob Kosek were very pleased with the birds you sent.

Mike

Blue Egg Acres

Diagnosis Help Please!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 07:58:48 PM »
Thanks Mike, I\'ll give that a try. I\'ve gone through my Chicken Health Handbook and can\'t find anything that sounds like this.
I\'m glad to hear that the gentlemen are happy with the birds!  I hope they hatch some winners!
Barbara

Diagnosis Help Please!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 08:42:19 AM »
Do you have any probiotics? Any acidophilus? Even some plain yogurt with the good bacteria might help.

Could it be caused by Vent Gleet? I don\'t know much about it, but have read it is caused by the thrush fungus, complicated sometimes by a bacterial infection. See these links for more info:

http://www.gamerooster.com/disease/abcdisease.shtml (scroll down to the very bottom)

http://homesteadingtoday.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-29026.html

If push comes to shove, you can always grind up some acidophilus tablets and feed them to him in a mash with some yogurt and ACV.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Diagnosis Help Please!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 08:44:29 AM »
Just did some more reading, and if you can get some, the herb Slippery Elm is useful in aiding the digestive tract. Add some in with the mash/yogurt.