Author Topic: Hen to roo ratio  (Read 3240 times)

Schroeder

Hen to roo ratio
« on: March 24, 2010, 03:43:18 PM »
What is the maximum number of hens I can house with 1 roo and still expect decent fertility.  I doubt it matters, but I\'m talking about Wheatens.

John

Hen to roo ratio
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 03:57:08 PM »
I don\'t know about a maximum, but recall 7 to 1 as a standard ratio to use for breeding.

Mike Gilbert

Hen to roo ratio
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 04:16:41 PM »
Commercial flocks have a rule of thumb of ten females per male, but those are large flocks.   Individual roosters in small matings  may have \"favorites\" and ignore certain females.
Seven to one may be okay.   I never use more than five to one, just to be on the safe side.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Hen to roo ratio
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 10:41:59 AM »
I\'ve had as many as 15 to 1 with no problems with my ameraucanas.
Jean

Anne Foley

Hen to roo ratio
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 05:29:38 PM »
I am also running 15 to 1 on the Black LF this year.  Fertility has been excellent at 95% with most of the infertile eggs coming in the first few eggs of the season.  I get as many as 10 eggs in a day from that group so at least that many hens are laying.  You can always split the flock or rotate two males (in a one or two week interval) if you see a fertility problem.  By the way, my hens are holding their condition much better this season.  I attribute that partly to the higher female to male ratio.  Good Luck!  

John

Hen to roo ratio
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 05:39:52 PM »

rotate two males (in a one or two week interval) if you see a fertility problem

Even with seeing a problem that is a very good way to go.  I\'ve often used two cocks per pen (one at a time), switching on Sundays and Wednesdays.

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Hen to roo ratio
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 04:07:47 PM »
We have used 15 to 1 several times in the past with good fertility.  A female\'s eggs will be fertile for up to 21 days after she has been serviced.  It\'s not uncommon for an active male to mount a female every 15 minutes.  This year our largest pen is 7 to 1 with poor fertility due to the male not completed with his molt.
Paul Smith